Connection sharing with BluRay player??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, May 10, 2010.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

Has anyone mastered this?
    I have a brand new sony BDP-N460 bluray player - good little unit, and I have a sony hdtv with a bunch of connections, one of which I have my pc connected to. anyway, the bluray player has a rj45 cable for internet connection, but there should be a way to feed it via the PC, which has both physical and wireless connection. I'm using it Wireless back to my router.

If I simply turn on Internet Connection Sharing and then run a cable from my PC to the BDP, will that work? couldn't be that easy.... does it need a special cable?

what about ip settings etc?:(

2. Myrddin97

Myrddin97 Private E-2

You would need a cross-over cable, or a switch/hub in between the Bluray and PC. If you have access to crimpers, you can make this yourself. If not, you might be better off going to a local computer shop and having them make one or modify an existing patch cable of yours.

If I remember correctly, the IP settings are done automatically. Make sure your local network is using something other than 192.168.0.x. You can't change this in XP (For ICS). From what I remember, it doesn't work all that well. But for your situation, it may be passable.

3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

thx mate.
    this is about what I figured.
    i think I'm just going to use another inexpensive wifi router as a bridge, if it will do it. if not, i'll swap my ddwrt 54gl over there and put the new one as the main. ddwrt has a client/bridge setting.
    this approach will have less physical clutter than putting my spare pc over there.

if you know a better way, speak! I had hoped to find a low-cost plug & play wifi-bridge-to-cat5 thingy but I do not see. somebody is missing a market opp there.

4. Myrddin97

Myrddin97 Private E-2

5. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

my pc's have newish asus dvd/rw's with some impressive features, but not bd. have standalone bd player that has usb, memory, cat5 inputs.
    I had actually seen the one you ref, but I ended up buying a wifi router for about 30 bucks. not sure it can bridge, however so may have to swap them around. my current wrt can bridge

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds