Connection states: Limited Access

Discussion in 'Software' started by ddragonNY, Apr 25, 2014.

1. ddragonNY

ddragonNY Private E-2

Being the first time posting on a forum, I guess I messed up because I only see my posting for the correction to my post. Since my post didn't post, I'm going to try it again.

Here is my post:
    I haven’t used a forum before and I don’t know if I’m giving the right info…I can’t check back here til Saturday 4/27 but thought I would see if I could get some suggestions by then.

Why does my connection on my wireless computer say “Limited Access” and it won’t access the internet anymore?

My brother’s laptop connects to my network. My other laptop connects to my network. Ipads that I have within range connect to my network.

The problem is: I have one laptop that shows all the wireless connections within range but when I try to connect to my network, now it says “Limited Access” (it used to connect). When I take this laptop to another house which has wireless internet, it also shows connections within range but when I try to connect with correct ssid and key, it says “Limited Access” (other wireless computers have no problem connecting). When I click on wireless connections, and then right click, it states “Disconnect” “Status” “Properties”. When I click on “Status” it states:
    Connection: IPv4 Connectivity: Not Connected / IPv6 Connectivity: Not connected / Media State: Enabled/SSID: myssid/duration:counting upward/speed: 54.0Mbps/signal quality: 4bars…but when I click Details: the Network Connection Details is blank.

The computer runs Windows 7 Home Premium/Service Pack 1/Dell/Inspiron INSP1440/Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @2.10GHz 2.10GHz/installed memory (RAM) 3.00GB/64-bit OS
    Network Adapters: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card (driver provider Broadcom, Driver Date:7/7/09 driver version 5.30.21.0..details: bcmihvsrv64.dll; bcmihvui64.dll; bcmwlcoi.dll; DRIVERS\BCMWL664.SYS; drivers\vwifibus.sys all located in Windows\system32);MS Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter (driver vwifimp.sys; Provider: MS, file version 6.1.7600.16385; driver date: 6/21/06); Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

This computer used to connect automatically when within range of anyone’s network (with proper ssid and key). And it used to connect wirelessly to mine and my brother’s without problems. It will hard-wire connect when I plug it into the router.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The wi-fi driver may have become corrupted for some reason. Uninstall the wi-fi driver from within Device manager and re-install it. If you don't already have the driver, go to Dell Support, enter your Service Tag, go to Drivers and Downloads and download the appropriate wireless driver.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds