Connnect Wireless Router to Motorola SBG901 Cable Modem/Router Combo -ISP Deny Access

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KYZAAC, Jan 26, 2013.

1. KYZAAC

KYZAAC Private E-2

basically i need to setup an additional wireless router to my isp's cable modem / wireless router combo, but they deny me access their modem page. maybe a long post, bare with me. heard this site was the place to go for this type of question. all help is appreciated!

i switched ISP's about a year ago, and when i tried to access my router page to port forward i couldn't get in. so i called and they explained they have their own password on their router so user's cannot change any settings. i tried to explain how this doesn't work for me an was basically told to bad. i said fine, can you just forward a port for me then, he said nope, "these routers don't have that capability" which is bullshit. i said ok i'll just reset it my self and use the default passwords, and i did, and withing a day or 2 tops the settings get switched back and im locked out again.

im in a 2 year contract so can't just back out, my ratio has been dropping on sites and need it for security system. i sent a msg to the staff and explained my situation, and we figured if i got my own wireless router, they cant do anything right?

so i just picked up a wireless router, its a d-link DIR-605-L, i thought i was just going to hook it up to the modem like the old days before isp's had the combo's, then realized it may not be as easy as it sounds. especially if i cant get into their router page.

can any one save me time and give me some help? is this even possible? im decent around computers but i don't really know what im doing, usually just use google to help me get things done.

can i connect the isp's router to my new router and just use these settings as my internet connection? could it be that simple? but then what happens to the other wireless connection etc. im gonna try to set it up now to see what happens, but figured i'd make a post in case someone knows something i dont or if im wasting my time etc.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

on another note, but not my priority atm. more worried about getting the ports forwarded right now, just figured id mention this in case everything goes easy.

theres been alot of break ins and thefts in my area as well, and bought a 4 cam security system and need to be able to have access to a wireless page to forward these ports as well. i can set the feed up on my network, but it kicks out every few hours and i have to unplug the modem and plug it back in to get it up and running, which makes it pretty useless. i ave it setup on 4 computers and an iphone. do i need a static ip for each or jkust the security system? this isp wants $15 a month for each static ip, its been so long since i played with router settings, but do i really need to pay for a static ip if i get my wireless router back to where i need it? or is thre ways around that

i read somewhere someone hooked up a wireless router to a wireless router to extend range, if thats possible i'd like to do that as well since i do alot of work in the garage and the wireless is so slow out there. its a detached garage about 40 ft away from the house, about 60ft where my laptop sits. anyone info on this?
    sorry for the long post, i tend to ramble

2. KYZAAC

KYZAAC Private E-2

Re: Connnect Wireless Router to Motorola SBG901 Cable Modem/Router Combo -ISP Deny Ac

i got the wireless router working, but im having alot of trouble port forwarding now. (some please answer, i got a paralyzed arm and takes me forever to type all this shit)

when setting up the router i noticed the box that i thought was for the phones only is actually the modem (arris tm602g) it says telephony on it, and had a spot for a phone line and tv cable wire, i pulled off a sticker and there was an ethernet port there. i tried setting it up direct but couldnt get it to connect. so the motorola sbg901 must just be the wireless router.

i hooked everything back up, then installed the new dlink dir-605L router like i normally would. after setting it up, it works great. i can connect to whatever wireless router i want. i have 4 or 5 pc's not including iphone and tablets, im no genius but everyone else in the house dont know how to copy and paste (literally) so i'd like to keep both routers, and use the new one just for me and my settings.

will this interfere with me being able to port forward? i've done it 1000 times on old routers and its pretty basic. but for whatever reason ive tried everything for hours and i get no where. im beyond frusterated.

i setup a static ip
    i used

dns i tried a few different ones from following guides

i just went to the status section and it has
    LAN: 192.168.0.1 (new router)
    INTERNET:192.169.99.4 (other router) with the whole ip, dns servers and all.

portforward .com doesnt have the dir-605 listed for utorrent so i found a few on google to see if i was doing anything wrong, everything looks right.
    might have to cut out the old router and just use the new 1? but other ppl seem to have got it working fine, they also prob had acess to both routers. i dunno, im lost.

http://www.ports3658.com/2012/08/dir-605l-wireless-n-300-port-forwarding.html

heres what my pf page looks like (its not mine)
    [​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds