Conroe tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by viper_boy403, Jul 26, 2006.

1. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Hey is anyone else besides me kinda excited about that? lol its about time Intel came back and layed the smack down on ol' AMD :p :D kinda useless thread so feel free to do what/say u want lol

2. Solomage

Solomage Private E-2

Can't say I'm as Excited as I would be, but I'm an AMD Fanboy that wants a Core 2 PC.

I'd be more excited if I had the money to buy one, but I'm getting married and buying a house, so money's short right now. I am eagerly anticipating getting one as early as I can, probably in Q1 next year.

Also, is there any chance you could answer my question on Conroe Memory please?

Thanks,

~Solo

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I'm at least half as excited but probably twice. Here are some hardcore articles using engineering samples x6800 and pushing some of the Core 2 Duo mobo's:

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=79456

Intel w an OC board, Badaxe what a BADARSE mobo:

http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=3834

RAM well most of these boards will support DDR2 upto PC2-8000 and beyond it's all upto how much and how hard you can go:

RAM and Core 2 Duo bundles:

http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=596

If you are gonna get one of these CPU's it would be criminal to use any generic RAM.

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Hey lets see who can find the best article I already have one with Conroe E6300 w 501Mhz FSB and I've seen 5.0GHz, can't find it at mom.

6. padams

padams First Sergeant

i'm excited that the price of amd cpu's is going to drop with the release. Not a big intel fan, but happy for them that they can finally compete with amd.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Thats fair enough I don't mind either as long as I get the optimul bang for back and I think we all have to take our hat off to Intel for shaking the market more than anything and it is about time there were at least 2 players in the "enthuisasit" market as AMD have monopolised for ages and thus could afford to charge high prices for their product. Go Intel lets get the prices down.

8. padams

padams First Sergeant

couldn't have said it better myself! intel has really changed over the past few years. however, amd has always been one step ahead of them in the market and i think they always will, but for the everyday consumer, i really believe that intel takes the market away from amd. with gaming, it's amd all the way baby! Although truth be told neither can compete with cyrix processors!

(that was a joke)

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

We really need Apple to build an enthisiasit chip and get the market even hotter. Your right Intel has dominated the mainstream for to long because they can mass produce everyday CPU at low cost but AMD is breaking into the server market and may start to consider the mainstream market more in the future, either way let's get the costs down so we can do serious OC and not have to care grealty if you fry the CPU because they are so cheap.

10. padams

padams First Sergeant

i haven't worked to much with macs, but from what i hear, they're really powerful! i think that if amd produced a chip for everyday pc users, like intel's centrino or celeron, then amd would be able to make a lot more money. the only thing is i don't want them to focus so hard on making cheap cpu's that they don't put as much effort into making their cpu's for gaming. Do you think the turion, if the price were lowered, could be the next centrino?

11. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

all a centrino is is a notebook with built-in wireless (maybe one or 2 more things but thats it) not a processor. The pentium M has been the Turion's main competitor and for most tasks beats it, also in battery life and heat production. If AMD possibly made something similar to Centrino then yes, they could very well be a formidable mobile opponent for Intel.

yea macs are VERY powerful. some even have QUAD processors which is pretty crazy. AMD does have that with its Opteron processors in servers but thats about it

12. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

I've been acquiring parts in planning to build my next PC with thoughts towards Vista and Core 2. But now that this has caused AMD to drop prices on most of their X2 CPU's I'm thinking of just going that route.

13. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

It is definately interesting to see what Intel has come up with. But being an AMD man...I'm more excited about the fact that I might be able to afford an AMD dual core chip, here in the near future!! Don't really need it, but it kind of goes like this...

The thing that seperates the men from the boys...is the price of their toys!!!!

Roger

14. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

15. bLaZeR666_uk

bLaZeR666_uk Private E-2

I was a AMD fan since the first Slot A Thunderbirds. Now I have a core duo and it totally kicks ass (E6600) IMHO there is no point getting a athlon x2 at all as the cheapest core duo almost kicks the FX62's ass. Shame really as I did love AMD. But Intel have the upper hand for the near future. AMD need to slash their prices really I paid about $280 for my chip and I know it beats the FX64 in most tests! now that is REAL value for money. Dont bother getting a 805D get the E6300 which is about $170!

16. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Not exactly sure where your from in the World but here downunder this is possibly the cheapest I can get a E6300 = $319AUD whereas 805D is +$149 so after spending more than 2k on my new sys the missus will only put up with so much:

http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=1376

The beauty of it is though is the mobo, RAM etc will be more than ready for any Conroe or the later quad cores.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds