Consequences of using System Restoration Kit

Discussion in 'Software' started by LilouNeedsHelp, Feb 19, 2005.

1. LilouNeedsHelp

LilouNeedsHelp Private E-2

My system specs:
    * Intel 1000MHz Pentium III
    * 128MB Memory
    * 20GB Hard Drive

I know for a fact that I am littered with junk from the internet (trojans, highjackers, spyware, etc.). I have controlled some of them but I fear I have some that would take to much time to take care of them. I also have many undesired programs I have installed over the years.

I would like to use my Gateway System Restoration Kit, which I have in the past with the assistance of Gateway. I think I can handle it by my self this time but I am bit insecure. I am prepared to wipe out everything and start over. Will running this kit remove all the internet trash I picked up?

I simply need peace of mind that it will work. Thanks,

Lilou

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

As long as it involves a format and then a clean install.

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I'd make sure you've got some firewall software, a good AV and SP2 (or SP1 if you don't like the idea of SP2 :rolleyes: ) on a CD for you to install BEFORE you go on the Internet after you restore. Otherwise you're running with a very "old" version of windows, which has many security holes in it, which can be patched with SP2.

Restoration sounds like an image is being copied over the top of the partition again, which is basically like a format and clean install, except you don't need to do the installing part.

4. LilouNeedsHelp

Thanks. I'll give it a world this evening when my daughter goes to bed. I'll let you know how it turns out. If I can log back into the internet, I must have done at least something right.

5. LilouNeedsHelp

Goldfish,

Thanks for the info. I do have an old windows, a yucky one too... it's ME. I have a pretty good AV (anti virus), it's Norton and I update regularly. I don't have a firewall and I don't know what's a SP... what is an SP?

6. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

It's a Service Pack for XP which includes an improved firewall etc.

Doesn't really apply to you with ME.

Just make sure you use a good firewall like ZoneAlarm, Agnitum Outpost or Sygate. (Especially if you have been infected previously)

They all make free and professional versions, set themselves up and have very good help files.

7. LilouNeedsHelp

I ran the Restore Kit and reinstalled some of my drivers and hardware. My antivirus is up and running with the latest Live Update. I installed ZoneAlarm as my firewall. I am not sure what it really does yet but it seems to be running.

Does any one know if there is an ME SP (Service Pack)?

8. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

All updates for ME avaible at Microsoft:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/update/default.asp

Firewall Info:
    http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/tips/ST04-004.html
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial60.html

9. LilouNeedsHelp

Okay, still working on completing my PC restoration. While on the internet looking for something regarding my printer, I recieved the same popup over and over again!!!! ARRRRGGG! So I installed the latest version of Adaware from this website and it found a common program I have seen from time to time: Alexa. How did I get this so quickly and why didn't the firewall stop the installation of it?

Oh ya, I am a brand new user of this website today and I like it so far. Why does it say Private E-2 under my name within the thread and how do I change it? I went through the different profile and option stuff but couldn't really find anything in relation to it. I need a finger pointing in the right direction I guess.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds