Considering a new multimedia system...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by javyn winterkhaos, Oct 29, 2005.

1. javyn winterkhaos

javyn winterkhaos Private E-2

I haven't built a PC in a long while, been using a laptop for the last few years. With the popularity of the Ipods and whatnot; the putting more into a smaller package trend is really getting to me. Especially when I turn around in my small room and see my monstrous, outdated stereo system taking up tons of badly needed space.

I am thinking about selling my receiver, VCR, and DVD players and replacing them with a PC built for multimedia. Hardware is cheap enough these days and even a PC would be smaller than what I have now.

I am seeking advice on a nice video card and sound card for this purpose. Do they make soundcards with built in ampifiers or something that could power my 4 foot tall 100 watt tower speakers and subwoofer? If not, are there solutions out there that I can add to the computer to make this work?

Also, are there any good video cards out there for say outputting to a television as well as a monitor? Please note, gaming is NOT an issue. Having a laptop has thankfully weaned me off of the need to game. :)

Thanks guys.

John

2. javyn winterkhaos

javyn winterkhaos Private E-2

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

i would go with nvidia 7800 for video, and soundblaster audigy 2zs or higher...you can get the soundblaster with a remote and a front control panel (on the computer).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds