Considering Overclocking - Advice on Cooling hardware requested!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ctrl-Alt-Del, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Ctrl-Alt-Del

Ctrl-Alt-Del Private E-2

Hey guys, I've been considering overclocking my machine for a while, but I want to make sure I have plenty of cooling first! I've always shied away from OCing because I'm scared I'll fry something. But I figure if I'm ever going to learn, I need to try!

Quick specs:

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 and a GeForce 8500 GT.
    My power supply is 400W

In addition to the coolers on my hardware, I also have a cheapo fan that came with the case mounted on the back near all the cables.

I'm thinking of trying to overclock the processor and GPU. So I went to chillblast and started looking through the coolers they have there.

This one is for the GPU and this one is for the CPU.

I've never modded my PC outside of just buying stock components and fitting them. For example, I've never switched the stock cooler on on my CPU/GPU for a new one before.

So the questions I need to ask are:
    What kind of cooler would you recommend? Are the ones I linked to acceptable? Also, is my power supply sufficient?

Thanks dudes.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The Zalman flower range are all pretty decent coolers I had a quick look and there isn't many better CPU coolers for only £25 then I stumbled on this which is 120mm heatpipe cooler almost an exact copy of the more expensive thermalright version.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?...pipe+LGA775/K8/AM2+Cpu+cooler+Quad+Core+Ready

Unless your power supply is of decent quality then you'll want to upgrade it or you may struggle which for decent one will cost around £60 at least.

Which brings you into new video card money,if you game I'd spend the lot on a new video card a 9800GT or something the 8500 isn't worth overclocking.

Sorry for the late reply

EDIT but don't listen to me overclock the card just for fun:-D

3. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

as long as ya keep the temp sub 60c your fine amd run hot

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds