Constant hard drive access in WinXP

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Feb 13, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Using FileMon, I see that csrss.exe and Norton's Aluscheduler (Live Update) are constantly access the hard drive. And I mean CONSTANTLY! The HD LED is always lit up and flashing. If it does stop, it's for less than 2 seconds and then it starts up again. I'm not sure what csrss.exe does, but I know it's an important Windows service. But why is it (and Aluscheduler) accessing the drive all the time? I know something is amiss somewhere, because I've seen plenty of PC's with both of these files running, and they don't have continuous hard drive activity..... Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

hopperdave2000

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Please, need help w/ this... it's making the PC mega-slow....

3. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

It could be as simple as disabling automatic live update in Norton, to see if the problem goes away. I suspect Norton has been corrupted & may require reinstall.

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I had to use the Norton Product Remover to completely wipe out all the Norton crap-ola on the PC: Internet Security, System Works, Go Back, Norton Utilities.... what a difference!!! But the PC is still having internet connection trouble: a topic for a different thread....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds