CONtinuous Beep and AUto shutdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ausyboy, Jan 5, 2009.

1. ausyboy

ausyboy Private E-2

Hello. I turn on my computer and starts fine but after 7 seconds it does a continuous beep and it just turns off, I think i know what it might be but i want some other oppinions, OK i opened my case took the heat sink off and looked at the heat sink for dust because it might have been over heating then i discovered that the thermal compound (ceramic) was patchy and lost in some places, just like flakey wallpaper but some missing in places not a circle shape and i put the cpu back on and yeah, im thinking if i should get some more thermal compound i was thinking of Artic 5 silver But i dont know if its safe Because this is my first computer and im not a Tech Head,Maybe the cpu is not the problem or maybe it is:confused.

Thankyou...

Intel pentium 4 (3.0ghz) (1GB RAM)
    GIGABYTE GA-8i915P SERIES (SUPPORTS LGA775 Intel pentium 4 processor)
    NVIDIA 6660 (6 series)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

its possibly heat related do you know how to enter the bios

if so can you check the temps?

when you start the pc is the cpu fan working?
    did you have this problem before you removed the heatsink, are you sure you have replaced it correctly.

usually pentium 4s have adequate thermal protection on retail heatsinks, is yours retail or aftermarket?

3. ausyboy

ausyboy Private E-2

Thankyou

yes i do know how to get into bios but it only gives me a certain amount of time before the computer starts beeping and just shutsdown, yes the CPU is retail and so is the heatsink,and the computer was running before i took out the heatsink. rolleyes hmmm ok i must of caused it by taking out heatsink but the heatsink is fitted propably and i didnt touch anything....o and the cpu fan is working.

I wonder if i need to get rid of the thermal compound and put some more on

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I know little about HW so I'm only posting because there are a few HeatSink installation instructions from your manual.

Also one continuous beep is usually RAM memory. Any changes to that, Do you have more than one stick so you could try them individually?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  5. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

well from what youve told me i would definitely suspect that your cpu is not installed properly.

i would take a look at those instructions and remove, clean and apply some thermal paste then refit your cpu and fan double checking everything as you go...
    check out youtube if unsure how to clean etc just search for how to clean heatsink

also check all cables connections memory modules etc to make sure you have not dislodged anything whilst working in your case.

also dont forget to ground yourself first;)

good luck and report back

6. ausyboy

ausyboy Private E-2

Ill be right back to you im just ordering artic5 silver

now i have a little question to clean the cpu can i use 70% isopropyl Alcohol Instead of 90% Does it mater?

yes sach2 i have 2 sticks of ram but i dont see them as a problem not turning my computer on until i have some thermal compound on cpu dont wanna kill the CPU.

And also i set my computer up to turn off if it hit a ceratain temp 55"c i think i did the right thing.

when i put the thermal compound back on it may just cool the thing down ;)

7. WightBoy

WightBoy Private E-2

it is definately heat related (i had this issue a long while ago) arctic silver 5 is the best option as thermal paste and for cleaning... a lint free cloth and a fair bit of elbow grease does the trick anyway (did for me). Also make sure your heatsink is on firmly (after applying thermal paste i didnt put heatsink on properly :-D)

8. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Ausy,

Isopropal 70% will work same as 90%. It will just take a little longer.

Luck, Jim

9. ausyboy

ausyboy Private E-2

thankyou for your reply :p if my comp doesnt work when i put my artic5 silver on it ill throw it away because its 3 years old to old lol......

But i am amazed that the pc could and would play the high end games today and i was like WTF?

i was also wondering if anyone would know if my motherboard would be able to support another CPU? Probably not i just want to know this silly question

GIGABYTE GA-8I915P (Supports LGA775 Intel)

:-D

10. ausyboy

ausyboy Private E-2

Thankyou everyone for helping me with my pc probs all the important questions have been answered i think this thread will be at its end now

Thankyou from your Major Geeks Member Ausyboy
    Like the website says (GEEK IT TIL IT MHZ)

11. WightBoy

WightBoy Private E-2

about your motherboard supporting other cpus (if you havent already found the info yourself) you may want to check out this link. That site states all your mobo specifications. :)

12. ausyboy

ausyboy Private E-2

i do see i :-D told you it would be a silly question lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds