Control Panel items and Uninstalling in XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcpp66, Apr 4, 2005.

1. mcpp66

mcpp66 Private E-2

There are several applications in control panel that display the following message when I try to uninstall; "Could not open Install.log". I'm assuming this means that the actual application was uninstalled but not removed from the Add/Remove programs application. Are there any applications out there that will remove Add/Remove programs entries that should have been removed with the uninstallation? Also, are there any applications that will uninstall BHO's that I don't need? I have BHO Demon but it only disables, I need something that will find the BHO and get rid of it and any registry settings that pertain to it. Thanks.

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

If it's not spyware and you are getting the message "Could not open Install.log", then usually reinstalling then uninstalling will work.

As a last resort, you can manually remove entries by following the steps outlined HERE.

Only do that if all other options have failed.

EDIT: What are you trying to remove? Most programs have settings to add or remove them.

3. mcpp66

mcpp66 Private E-2

Actually, I'm not really sure what they all are. I'm trying to help a friend clean up her computer and I don't have it hooked up at the moment. The programs in add/remove programs are not spyware. But the program the BHO demon found is spyware and I disabled it. BHO gave me the location of the malware, but I don't just want to delete it, I want to make sure all remnants of that garbage, including registry keys, are gone. Ad-aware and Spybot did not pick it up. Any suggestions or tools I could use? Thanks.

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Go to the Spyware Forum and follow their recommended steps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds