controlling another comp over a network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thebatpeople, Apr 13, 2007.

1. thebatpeople

thebatpeople Private E-2

I am new to the networked computer thing. I have two computers networked & plan to add more. I was wondering if there was a way to control one computer from another & view it just like the one you are on & be able to switch back & forth. Hopefully something in the freeware market if it takes a program. And can it be done with different operating systems. I currently have a Win XP & Me networked but could I add a Win98, DOS6.6, Linux & perhaps a Mac (if I can get my hands on one cheap) & be able to do this?

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

What you are looking for is called VNC, it comes in several flavors - RealVNC, TightVNC, etc & for most OSes. Just google VNC. The server element goes on all the 'remote' pcs and the one you are going to connect with needs the viewer piece.

3. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

you can do it with windows remote desktop. it should already be installed on both machines under start-programs-accessories-communication. pretty easy to do. post back if you have problems with it.

4. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

ooh yeah VNC is real nice too. i was trying to think of that. use VNC

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

yes that would work if all pcs are Windows XP/03.. but he is looking to expand across multiple OSes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds