convert DVD to fomat that will play on media player

Discussion in 'Software' started by sassylassy, Sep 6, 2011.

1. sassylassy

sassylassy Private E-2

I have a seagate media player a Freeagent theatre, I am trying to convert my dvd's to play from it. I presume I need to convert to avi? Anyway not sure what I need, can anyone help?

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi and Welcome To MG! :)

It looks like that device should be able to play the movie without converting. The manual says it recognizes DVD format files.

I'm not sure how that device accesses the files on your computer or if you have the model with the 500gb HD. What have you tried so far?

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The data sheet for Freeagent Theatre does indeed say it will play DVD movies. However, as sach2 stated above, we don't know if/how the device is connected to your PC. Personally, I would rip the movies to AVI (DivX or XViD) files since they are MUCH smaller. You can decrypt the movie using something like DVDfab or your favorite DVD decrypter. Then use AutoGK (or another DVD > AVI converter; there's a billion of 'em out there) to convert the movie to a DivX/XViD AVI file. This will shrink the size of the movie from 4-8gb to under 1gb in most cases.

(the programs I listed a free; there are "one-step" programs that will convert DVD movie to AVI in a single step, but they are generally paid $hareware)

4. sassylassy

sassylassy Private E-2

Yes you are correct I didn't explain myslef correctly, I want to compact the movie and all the others that I have been give are AVI. If I copy the files Video_ts and Audio_ts, when I birng them up on media player I have to go in to the video_ts and find the mail file to play, with the AVI I just click on the mail folder and it plays, does this all make sense? I have tried something called Free dvd comvertor, I just downloaded the one you mentioned and I am going to try today. Thanks for the welcome and I will let you know what happens.

5. sassylassy

sassylassy Private E-2

dvdfab, does it very well thanks for the help.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

;) You're very welcome!

Now you know where to come with any questions - :major LOL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds