Convert WMV to DVD format

Discussion in 'Software' started by toehead410, Sep 1, 2006.

1. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

I have a 65 minute (472 MB) WMV movie created using Windows Movie Maker that I need to convert to DVD format for playback on a typical consumer DVD player, but I wish not to burn it to DVD yet (Why? Long story.). Can anyone recommend an application (free or with a free trial period is preferred) that will simply convert the WMV to DVD Movie file format without requiring it to be burned to a disk? The PC that will be used to convert the file does not have DVD burning software or a DVD burner.
    Also, in the DVD format, can the movie be copied to a DVD disk, or must it be burned using burning software in order to be played on a typical DVD player?

FWIW, I got myself into a volunteer project that is more complex that originally anticipated. I have a machine powerful enough to work with video, but it is not equipped to burn DVDs.

If you need more info, please ask.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Can anyone recommend an application (free or with a free trial period is preferred) that will simply convert the WMV to DVD Movie file format without requiring it to be burned to a disk? The PC that will be used to convert the file does not have DVD burning software or a DVD burner. <<

Cheetah DVD Video 1.0 can do this: convert your WMV, AVI, MPEG1, and MPEG2 files into DVD format (not sure if it is still freeware, though)

Minimum requirements: Windows XP, DirectX 8.0 drivers

Note: This program runs very slowly. Also, if the above link does not work, try this one or do a search for it using the "exact" search term: Cheetah DVD Video 1.0. I have heard that this program went from freeware to "shareware" more recently; however you might be able to fetch the 1.0 version from either the links mentioned above or by doing a google search! ;)

Good luck!

3. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

Thank you fellow geek. According to the description, this will do exactly what I need AND it IS free. I will give feed back about the application once I complete my tasks.

4. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

Another question...
    If the AUDIO_TS, and VIDEO_TS folders are copied to a CD, what happens when you put it in a DVD player?

5. basspunk14

basspunk14 Private E-2

hi, thanks for the advice, i just wondered if Cheetah DVD Video 1.0 will insert frames where they might be missing and WMP is correcting them automatically. basically, when i burn dvds created with Cheatah and play them in my dvd player, will the audio be in sync with the video? as i have experienced that problem with other converters thanks

6. basspunk14

basspunk14 Private E-2

sorry, i posted the last message before i had installed the program and now i have another question for compuable.

i am wanting to burn 24 128MB chunks of avi video onto as few DVDs as possible. Cheetah does not tell me how much the output size of the DVD file will be when it is converted, do you have any advice as to how many to convert for a single DVD, thanks, rob

7. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Another question... If the AUDIO_TS, and VIDEO_TS folders are copied to a CD, what happens when you put it in a DVD player? Jason <<

I could be wrong about this, because I do not actually use this Cheetah DVD Video software for burning; but as far as I can tell, the output will be in standard DVD format, which is compatible with all home DVD players. Consequently I'm pretty sure that copying the output file to CD will not work; as CD format is different than DVD format. Therefore I can only suggest that you consult the help files or try contacting the developer for more info on this.

I currently use Nero for all of my burning needs and have a DVD-RW drive installed. Although I have seen many people mention Cheetah DVD Video in various computer-related forums when someone was seeking out a "freeware" program that could convert WMV, AVI, MPEG1, and/or MPEG2 files into the DVD format. The "positive" always mentioned was the fact that it was available as freeware and then negative often mentioned that runs very slow and too simplistic for many users’ tastes.

Additional Notes: DVD and DVD-RW drives are dirt cheap these days (compared to what they cost just a few years ago) and they are relatively easy to install. You really should consider installing one, preferably a DVD-RW; that is if you are going to be converting files for use in the DVD format.

Additionally, for anyone who is interested in learning more about this "burning" subject; there is a terrific and very helpful PDF/Adobe Acrobat file entitled Easy CD and DVD Burning Exposed which lays out a fairly east-to-read but comprehensive overview of burning and even briefly outlines the use of Cheetah DVD Video on page 73 on the .pdf document.

Good Luck!

8. toehead410

toehead410 Corporal

[tip of the hat]
    Thank you my friend. Your information is more helpful than you know.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds