Converting a computer from England to using in the US.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unkie, May 2, 2004.

1. unkie

unkie Private E-2

We just unwrapped my wifes computer she is from England. Being that she has a surge protector strip from there, I bought a universal adapter to fit a 110v. Now the fans are running, the monitor is on, but no picture... The key board doesn't come on line, and it just doesn't seem to work.

After thinking about it, I was wondering, do I have to buy a new transformer? I think all the other components are a universal standard, or am I wrong...

The fact they run off of 240v, I am in the US we run off 110v standard, I was thinking this might be the problem?

Hope to get some help so we can get our home pc up on line...

Thanks in advance

2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

:rolleyes: uh ....just switch the little 110 to 220 button on the back of the pc?

3. unkie

unkie Private E-2

I wish it was that easy, I thought it would have a convertor button but it doesn't

4. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

buy a PSU at a local shop?

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

The voltages from the out are exactly the same, but with a different mains transformer in the unit. Just buy a new PSU and you'll be fine. The system wont power up until the voltages for key components (like CPU) is high enough... I'm quite surprised the fans started spinning... but hey i guess they are simple components compared to a hard drive or somthing.

6. unkie

unkie Private E-2

okay thanks, that's confirmed what I was thinking

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds