Converting Fat32 To Ntfs Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by buttmunch, Mar 1, 2005.

1. buttmunch

buttmunch Private E-2

im converting using, Convert C: /FS:NTFS then it promts what is the label of the drive im converting? can anyone tell me what it is i put there?

cheers oh also how the hell do i stop my @ key doing " ,and my " key doing @ .....? ive vtried loads but nowt? :eek:

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

3. buttmunch

buttmunch Private E-2

sorry mate im computus thickus where is local ?

4. bjgarrick

The disk label can vary, depending on what type machine, who formatted it and labled it.

Loca Disk is the normal disk label, when formatting a partition I never label it as it will be labled "Local Disk C:\". You only label a partition when you have more than one. Some people lable there partition, its user preference.

5. buttmunch

buttmunch Private E-2

oh dear im showing what a complete dim wit i am , i managed that and it is now indeed ntfs my c drive is anyway , i have a laptop it says it has 40gb hd but it is a c drive and a d drive both 20gig i thought that when you converted to ntfs it joined them into one big disc doh ,so how do i do that surely it cant have two hard discs can it?
    when it was getting close to being full would it start using the d drive ,how do i use it ? even better how do i make it one big 40gb drive?

oh dear :confused:

6. bjgarrick

What type laptop is it? Its probably Local Disk C:\ and a Recovery Partition. It could just be that you have 2 active partitions. Whats on the second one??

7. buttmunch

buttmunch Private E-2

its an acer travel mate 2000 there nothing on the d drive its empty how do i join them ,if at all?

8. bjgarrick

You need to download PartitionMagic to delete the blank partition and resize the Local Disk C:\ active partition.

Note: This is a demo version and functions may be limited. :(

9. buttmunch

buttmunch Private E-2

can you help me on this mate i aint got a clue what to do ,where do iget the download from ,then how do i do it?

also ive converted my c to ntfs do i have to do the same to d aswell?

10. bjgarrick

№, you will be removing it and resizing the Local Disk C:\ partition.

11. buttmunch

buttmunch Private E-2

so is this download gonna work i cant afford to mess it up, how do i find out?

also how do i actually do it once ive downloaded it? sorry to bother you im clueless and now worried im gonna mess my laptop up :(

12. bjgarrick

If your not comfortable using this program I wouldnt recommend doing this because anything is possible when modifying partitions.

13. buttmunch

buttmunch Private E-2

lol so what am i going to do ? i need to start using my d drive how do get it to put stuff on there? and stop putting stuff on c automatically?

14. bjgarrick

What all do you have in My Computer?

15. buttmunch

buttmunch Private E-2

sorry mate i didnt understand the last thing you put?

16. bjgarrick

In My Computer what all shows in there?

For ex.
    Local Disk C:\

CD Drive D:\

17. buttmunch

buttmunch Private E-2

it shows acer (c: ) acerdata (d: ) under the hard disc drives

18. bjgarrick

Can you take a image (Print Screen|SysRq Key) and attach the image to your post?

Also, right click on Acerdata D:\ what are the details, size and used space?? This sounds like a recovery partition or just a empty partition.

19. buttmunch

buttmunch Private E-2

ive got that key how do i make it work?

20. bjgarrick

Press the Print Screen|SysRq key and then open MS Paint and paste (Control + V) it there, save it and attach it to your post.

Note: Save as a .jpg so you wont exceed the file size limit.

21. buttmunch

buttmunch Private E-2

drive d is 17.9gb free total space 17.9gb

22. bjgarrick

Go ahead and attach the image so I can make sure before I tell you what to do from here.

23. buttmunch

buttmunch Private E-2

there you go cheers learnt something new :D

Attached Files:

24. bjgarrick

Apparently Acer creates a blank second partition for some reason. Anyway, you have 2 options.

1) Download Partition Magic, remove the unused partition and resize your active partition.

2) Take it to a local computer repair office and let them delete the partition and resize it for you.

Note: You will have to tell them exactly what you want if you do this.
    Be sure you tell them to NOT mess with the active partition. Just to be safe I would backup any critical data before doing this.

25. buttmunch

buttmunch Private E-2

so i cant get anything of majorgeeks to download and do it myself? saw that ranish download or do you have to know what your up to ?

also is it best to convert my d to ntfs to?

sorry does the partition majic download work?

26. bjgarrick

The only thing I have ever used is PartitionMagic, Im sure there is but im not familiar with anything other than PartitionMagic.

Running WindowsXP you need to have a NTFS partition. If your not going to use it I wouldnt worry about it.

27. buttmunch

buttmunch Private E-2

is partition magic easy to use and can i get it free :D

28. bjgarrick

Well, The download is a Demo, I have never used the demo but I am sure like all other popular software it has limitations. You have to buy a key for it to get the FULL version.

29. buttmunch

buttmunch Private E-2

im a bit stupid as youve probably gathered when it comes to pcs do you reckon i could use it without fekkin the lot up?

30. bjgarrick

Its not really that hard to use, just a few simply clicks and a reboot. There may be free software that does this but I dont use anything other than PartitionMagic because doing the wrong thing can cause major problems.

31. buttmunch

buttmunch Private E-2

ok mate ill give it a go thanks for your time ,much appreciated ill be back!!!

32. bjgarrick

Your Welcome! Let me know.

If I dont respond send me a PM and I will get back with you, I stay in the Spyware Specific forum pretty much all the time. :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds