Cookies, History & TIF Duplicated in Temp Folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by Billy32, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Billy32

Billy32 Private E-2

Just recently the following folders were duplicated in the temp folder (they also exist in the usual places):

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\History
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files

Don't remember these being there before. If I deleted them manually, they returned when I start IE. To try and remedy the problem I checked the option - 'Empty Temporary Internet files folder when browser is closed' in internet options. I also the ran disk clean up and deleted cookies, files etc. This seemed to get rid of the Cookies & TIF folders, but the History folder still remains.

Recently ran all the cleaning tools from the read me thread in the malware forum and TimW confirmed the logs were clean. Here's the link to that thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=229452

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm running XP service pack 3.

Thanks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Those folder locations are normal for Windows and if you delete them the system will re-create them automattically as they are needed for using IE.

Reason you may not have noticed them before is that during the malware removal process one of the steps is to make Hidden Files and Folder viewable, so these folder areas will popup into view.

Just in any folder click Tools > Folder Options > View tab and then choose Dont show Hidden Folders for Files, and tick Hide Protected Operating System files (recomended)

3. Billy32

Billy32 Private E-2

No, these folders were definitely not in that location, even before the virus. I checked the temp folder almost every day so would of noticed and I always have hidden files & folders viewable.

These folders should be in the following locations (which they are & seem to work normally):
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Cookies
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\History
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

But I now have all these folders duplicated in the Temp folder as well and I can't permanently delete them:
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\History
    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files

Couldn't find much info on the net about this problem. Quite a few questions but no answers. The only info I could find was this:
    'This is a consequence of damaged index.dat files. When Internet Explorer cannot read one of the index.dat files from the standard locations, usually C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings, it will create new folders under the Temp folder.'

Does this shed any more light on the problem?

Thanks.

p.s. The Cookies and TIF folders have reappeared in the temp folder.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

yes that additional info helps, what I would try is to use MoveOnBoot and see if that will remove the folders that you are seening.

May need to if normal mode doesnt remove them to try from Safe Mode (F8 at boot)

Are you in a network of PCs or is this a basic home PC, only asking as AD or Roaming Profiles can add extra temp locations?

Have you updated your browser and if so from what to what?
    Also have you installed any other browsers apart from IE?

5. Billy32

Billy32 Private E-2

Forgot to mention that I can actually delete the folders, but when I start up IE, they reappear.

My computer is hooked up to a belkin router with one other PC also connected.

I haven't updated my browser, but installed Firefox a few months back, but this didn't coincide with the temp folder problem.

Thanks.

6. Billy32

Billy32 Private E-2

Tried this program, but unfortunately doesn't work. It removed the folders okay (which you can do without using the program anyway), then recreates the folders when you open IE.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds