cooling for new system *advice pls**air*

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BitisGabonica, Jun 14, 2008.

1. BitisGabonica

BitisGabonica Private E-2

Hi all, **looks around** **warns all about a huge post lol **

I have just built a budget bang for buck machine, by the skin of my teeth as it were...lol and wanted advice from the guys who know how! but firstly some backround...

Im by no means a professional in I.T or system building, but i have been around a while, and had many machines, i do not have any qualifications in anything IT like, but maybe i should have.... I do know my way around your basic machine, but thats about it..because i never had the money to make an uber rig, mostly ivejust had cast offs and built machines from them lol :)

Recently i have become more interested, and actually wanted to build a machine capable of playing some modern games, and also capable of encoding AVI to DVD under the time it took my old machine....which took that old thing 6 hours to duel pass encode a dvd in nero vision version....2

So i bought a few items for a new machine....which included...

MOBO - ASrock - ALiveNF6G-VSTA
    CPU - AMD athlon x2 5000+ BE - Brisbane
    RAM - 2 gb generic ddr2 duel channel - 800mhz
    GRAPHICS - nvidia 7300gs pcie
    HD - some low end maxtor SATA2 -250gb- 8mb cache

BUT i put this all in my lovely old magnolia 6 yr old ATX case, this case is solid, good quality but it looks horrible!!! It atm has 2 fans in it, one 92mm generic at the front under the drive bays, and one at the back under the PSU ... again 92mm and cheap.....

So, as you see this atm is a throw together , but with some new parts, well most of the guts are brand new, apart from the case, PSU, and prephirals, so i wanted to keep to the mATX system, as the NB chipset wont bother me just yet, and i will never have a "gaming" rig...but as close to it for the money ...is the aim

So i just ordered a case, the coolermaster elite 340, i dont want uv or flashy lights, so it suits me just fine, it has a mesh front panel, front 120mm fan space, and a rear 120mm fan space along with a cpu duct ...or whatever they are called , and alsio i think *only judging by pics* it has a smaller side panel fan space maybe 80 - 92mm, so this brings me to my question finally!! or questions...

Which fans do i buy??
    Liquid bearings, sleeve or ball? 3 or 4 pin?
    lol, the mobo only has one set of fan pins for system fan, so the 2nd fan will be connected via molex, the complications are more than i once thought, because you can have 1000 - 1600 rpm from what i have seen, and also ...you cannot control the fan speed on the bios, unless the fan in use is 4 pin?

In the cooling lol im the same as everyone else, i want as cool as possible, but as quiet as possible, an added bonus will be the ability to manually control the fan speeds , but i just dont seem to be able to find much loooking in the 3 or 4 online stores i use, im a bit confused.....
    The thing is my machine to many of you would be a second machine in the kitchen or such, but to me its pretty uber lol, for instance ive never had a branded case, the 1 i chose is low end but it IS branded lol, and when i get some OCZ ram lower latancy, an 8 series g card, when coupled with the unlocked cpu multiplier the machine should be nice, so it needs to look decent lol and not melt while im playing in some lan games!!

like i said i see fans, but, im not certain on any of them, also, any idas for a cpu sink/fan ? it may need to be low profile, im not sure, but im running next to stock HS/FAN on the rubbish compound supplied on the CPU lol ..... while running full load not clocked up at all im seeing temps of 55c on the cpu which is worrying me

Essentially i need to buy the whole cooling system now, and yep im trying to be as low cost as i can, BUT not so low cost that the whole thing is a waste of time, i dont mind spending enough to make sure its all good, lol, it doesnt need to be uv...or have LED's but effective yes, and preferably branded ... :)

so, thats it lol after 10k words, any ideas on the cooling ?

*headbows*

- Bitis

2. Heavyunit

Heavyunit Private E-2

Hello BitisGabonica I have built a few computers and personally I think the Scythe S-FLEX fluid dynamic bearing fans are the best. they are 3pin and also have a 4pin adapter included. Newegg.com has excellant service and information in the product reviews on there website. And as far as noise a 1600 rpm fan your going to hear wind rushing noise at full speed and a 1200 rpm fan is allmost silent at full speed. These are the 120mm Scythe f.d.b. fans im referring to. Artic Silver 5 thermal compound is worth the money for your heatsink you will have lower temps. hope this helps your build.

3. BitisGabonica

oo ok thx, i made another much shorter post in another section of the forum where someone called baldeagle was kind enough to give some advice!

but i didnt get names of particular fans.... so i went and looked for some myself lol and ended up buying two HIPER - hiperflow 120mm transparent apparantly *inaudible* fans, and they really ae pretty dam good for the money ..because they were clear and not jazzy led they were 35% cheaper than the exact same ones in red blue or green!

Also i was pointed towards arctic cooling freezer pro 64....hs and fan which i have not yet fitted as i need to get some more alcohol based cleaning fluid to remove the older stuff.....but funnily enough i re fitted the almost stock hs fan just before i bought the new stuff and used the good ol arctic silver 5, and lost no temp at all, and also found out the noise from my pc...is actually coming from the HS fan and ol this will make you laugh, i have a budget PSU!! some winpower 550w thing with a 120mm fan in it....... lol there is my culprit!
    but anyhow the 2 new case fans are great they are 800 - 1400 rpm, and they are going full speed atm....cant hear them over the other fans ..my machine sounds the same lol

so i will get a good psu , and put this new hs / fan on ...which if im true looks very very fiddly to put on, and my pc will be complete i hope!

i also discovered another major heat source but...it works out to be advantageous....BOINC..i bet a lot here use it to donate "spare" cpu cycles, this program on its own sucessfully pulls my temp up by around 10 c !!! this program, cannot make my system "fully loaded" can it? the same as if i were doing steady intensive cpu using things such as encoding? i now use boinc lol to measure my temps all day long, and now i U'cd *underclocked lol not sure on its real term* to HTT 185 im running at 64 top... which isnt greatis it, im going PSU shopping as we speak, and thanks for the reply :)

4. BitisGabonica

Thank you all involved my system is now really happy!!

this pic is with the cpu temp highlighted... this is with 2 x 120m hiperflow case fans , and an arctic cooling pro 64 HS/fan in a coolermaster elite 340 case ... all low cost also:)
    Thanks to baldeagle for the pointing towards this HS fan..i can OC this thing to 6000 *no more becasue max cpu voltage on the board is 1.350* and see temps of 56 while using boinc/rosetta@home :) and playing media and an mmorpg lol, what more can i want!

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/spikey666/?action=view&current=cputemp.jpg

cant use img codes? ok lol heres link anyhow :)
    gota find his post reply so i can thank

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds