cooling the prescott

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frgpugs, Mar 2, 2005.

1. frgpugs

frgpugs Private E-2

I read the other threads about the P4 3.2 prescott and the advice to cool them. My problem is I was looking for some advice on alternative cooling, because my system resets occasionally under heavy load. First ill list the stats so you know what im working with.

-Thermaltake V7000 Gaming Tower
    19" x 8" x 22.8" (HxWxD)
    2 x 80mm, 3 x 90mm fans
    -Antec 430 watt PSU with fan
    -Albatron PX915P Pro mobo
    -Prescott 3.2 Ghz ( HT ) with stock HS and fan
    -WD 30 GB HD and Seagate 120 GB HD
    -ATI Radeon 9200 SE 128 MB vid card
    -2 Gigs Kingston PC3200 ram ( dual channel )
    -cd drive blah blah blah

These temps cant be good
    -Mainboard 25c
    -CPU 64c idle
    -PSU 42c

core voltage +2.10V
    aux voltage +3.17V
    I/O voltage +3.34V

Heres the problem. I plan on putting some of the silver 5 stuff on the cpu as theres not any there now, and trying to fix up the cables a bit more but you would think 7 fans total would cool the thing off. Do I need to put in some sort of water cooler or anything else? I do some hardcore gaming on here and thats why I built this but its a pain when it up and restarts on me when it gets too hot.

2. klva80

klva80 Private E-2

u can improve cooling by changin the stck cooler with somthing
    better like water cooling(if u can afford it) or use a better HS like the ones of thermaltake

3. frgpugs

frgpugs Private E-2

how does water cooling work

4. klva80

klva80 Private E-2

5. xrazvanx

xrazvanx Private E-2

DAMN 62 at idle , now thats HIGH!

I have the same processor as you, and recently right after I built my new pc, it was shutting down after 30 seconds..As recommended, I cleaned out intel's thermal paste off and I applyed myself some on the procssor and reseated the heatsink and now its okay..
    IDLE: 40degrees, LOAD: 60-70degrees

Now, that is still high, and im looking maybe towards a better airflow, I do not really feel like changing the stock heat sink for now..

So ya, try that, clean out and put new thermal paste on the processor and It should run at lower temps, coz right now, being in the sixties at IDLE is HIGH!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds