Copying files from previous partition

Discussion in 'Software' started by netsurfer, Aug 8, 2008.

1. netsurfer

netsurfer Private First Class

I have just installed a second copy of XP Home sp2 onto my hard drive. There are currently two partitions on my drive, this copy of xp and another which no longer lets me log in.

I am trying to copy the My Documents folder from my previous partition to this new copy of XP, however whenever I try to access this folder I get the message "access is denied" and I am unable to view any of the files.

I also cannot change the sharing properties as I cannot log into my previous installation of windows. Whenever I enter my password at the Welcome screen, I get a message saying I must activate windows before I can log in. I
    tried clicking YES however that just starts to load then immediately logs out returning me to the Welcome screen. Same situation when I start in safe mode.

Is there any way I can copy these files before I erase that partition?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The files/folders are protected probably because you selected to log in with a password and additionally selected to protect the documents from other users. Because of this, you must take ownership of the files/folders in question.... it's pretty easy (most of the time ;) )
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

3. netsurfer

I will try that now. Are you sure it will work despite the fact that the files I am trying to access are located on the C:/ partition?

I can only access the second partition which is D:/

4. netsurfer

It worked, I just changed the permissions. Thanks bro

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:highfive Glad I could help!

[dlb]
    :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds