Copying files within folder without the folder to another folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by videobruce, Jul 22, 2010.

1. videobruce

videobruce Private E-2

How can I copy the contents of many folders into another single folder without copying the folders themselves?
    I have 900 mp3 files in 50 folders and I want to copy just the contents of each folder into a master folder without the folder there are stored in so I have a single 'list' of songs.

Opening 50 folders and doing a select all, copy, paste is very tedious and the probability of missing a folder is high.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version and Service Pack? asking for reference and in case their is a different way to do this with your Windows version.

One thought is to do a search for *.mp3 files and when they all list from the location you have the 50 folders, highlight and right click copy and paste to the new folder.

3. videobruce

videobruce Private E-2

XP Pro w/sp3
    Never thought of using search.

The other problem 90 of the 870 files didn't copy. Without going through all the files to find which ones are locked, how do I attack this? If I select all 50 folders and look at Properties, nothing shows.

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

5. videobruce

videobruce Private E-2

I did a serach, selecetd the folders I wanted, copied them and all the files copied where they did not before doing one folder at a time. I even went back and recopied each folder to see if I missed a folder (I missing only one). I was still 70-80 files short.

Why did all copy using the search list, but opening each folder up individually missed some??

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds