Copying Windows 7 to new hard drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by kojack22, Apr 12, 2013.

1. kojack22

kojack22 Private E-2

I need to replace my hard drive because the one I have now is about to crash. This one came with Windows 7 x64 and I would like to copy that onto the new hard drive. I can see the 'Recovery' folder but not able to access it. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

I am actually in the middle of a similar process!

Install the second hard drive, format and mount it (if you need help with any of that let me know)

Install this program: http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/home-edition/

You can use that program to clone your current hard drive :)

3. kojack22

kojack22 Private E-2

I can install it but what steps do I take to format is without any disk and how do I mount it?

Thanks for the help!

4. kojack22

kojack22 Private E-2

I will be replacing a 1TB Seagate ST31000528AS (7200RPM/32MB Cache 3GB/s),
    with a 1TB Seagate Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive 7200RPM/32MB/3GB/s).

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Install the disk into the computer, then right click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage". Then look for "disk manager" on the left side of the window and click on it. Then look for the new disk in the middle of the window, and post a screenshot of what you see there. This will tell us the next step you need to take.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds