Corded Mouse stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlanH, Jun 13, 2012.

1. AlanH

AlanH Private E-2

Please help, the corded mouse on my PC has suddenly stopped working; I have tried the following with no luck;

1: System restore to an earlier date
    2: Replaced the mouse with a known good corded mouse (worked in another PC
    3: Tried on all USB Ports
    4: Reloaded the driver software which was successfully downloaded (I can see drivers on the program files). When the PC boots up, the mouse works for a couple of seconds then freezes. A message appears stating driver can’t be found
    5: deleted the driver from the device manger, and rebooted the PC, problem still the same.
    6: When I unplug the mouse and re-insert, there is the usual beep from the PC. The LED on the optical mouse is lit
    7: The USB ports are working as other hardware is recognised.

I'm at a loss on how to resolve the issue; any help would be greatly appreciated

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I found this from last year (computer running XP)

4. AlanH

AlanH Private E-2

Thanks for the response, I tried the following but the problem still exists

Mouse is marked as "HID-compliant mouse

I downloaded the USB deview software, run in admin mode and deleted all reference to mice, rebooted and plugged in a known working corded mouse. The PC looked for the driver but came back with a message “Device driver software was not successfully loaded. For this particular HP mouse I have downloaded the driver from the HP site, problem still exists.

Any other ideas and help would be appreciated.

5. tgell

What OS are you using? Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

6. AlanH

AlanH Private E-2

Thanks, I'm using windows 7' and there is a yellow explanation symbol on the device manager

7. tgell

What device is the yellow exclamation mark next to.

8. AlanH

AlanH Private E-2

when I exxpand other devices the yellow exclamation mark is against the " USB optical mouse"

9. tgell

Right click USB optical mouse, select properties. It should give a description of the problem if any in the General tab. In the Details tab, select Hardware ID's in the drop down box and give the Vendor and Device ID. Also, do you have the following files in C:\Windows\System32\drivers?

hidusb.sys
    mouhid.sys
    mouclass.sys

10. AlanH

AlanH Private E-2

thanks for the reply, I have the 3 files listed you advised to check in the windows\ system 32 folder

Also note the message i receive under the general tab

"the drivers are noT installed( code 28)
    there is no driver for the device info set or element
    to find the driver for this device, click update driver"

I have tried this numerous times but the driver is not installed. i have also successfully downloaded the driver from the manufactures website.

Also under the hardware tab I have the following files;

USB\VID\_192f&PID_0416REV-0200
    USB\VID_192f&PID_0416

11. tgell

I am not sure what is going on because other hardware works on the USB port and you have the required files for the HID mouse. Also, what is the make and model of your computer? Is the OS 32bit or 64bit. And what is the model number on the mouse? I would try the following in order.

This idea is a long shot but go into BIOS and make sure legacy USB support is enabled if it is not.

Right click on the device and under the driver tab select update driver but let it try to find a driver over the internet.

Is it possible to do a system restore before the problem appeared?

Disconnect any USB devices other than the keyboard and mouse. Then in Device manager uninstall the USB hub roots and only those devices under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Reboot. This will reinstall the USB hub root devices.

Edit: before you do these things I would recommend you create a system recovery disk in Windows 7. This will let you create a system restore if the system should not boot.

12. AlanH

AlanH Private E-2

Once again thanks;

My PC is an HP 6215UK, 64 bit running windows 7

I checked the BIOS but can’t find any reference to "legacy USB support"

I tried updating the driver from the Driver tab, but a message reported the driver could not be found. I'm using a new HP Mouse MSU0923. I can successfully load this driver from the official HP website.

I disconnected all USB devices and removed the first USB root-hub, however when I re-booted the PC, the root hub didn’t re-load. This left me without my wireless keyboard and mouse. I started in Safe mode but both the wireless keyboard and mouse were not functioning. Fortunately, there is a diagnostic facility when the machine is booting up which allowed me to go in system restore. Strange the corded mouse was now fully functional and I was able to successfully restore the PC to an earlier date (a date in time before the corded mouse was working). However when the PC finally rebooted after the successful system restore, the Corded mouse ceased working again

I'm still at a loss of what to do next.

13. tgell

I am really out of ideas on this one. Maybe somebody else on the forum can give their input on this. The only other solution I could see is to use a PS2 mouse if your computer supports it. Maybe a wireless mouse would work, but that uses USB.

Edit: I do not know if you would want to go this route but HP usually has a recovery partition that will take the computer back to a factory state. You would have to back up all of your data and any programs installed after purchase would be lost.

Edit: I found the support site for your computer and it looks like you do not have a PS2 port.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...egory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4032818#N283

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  14. tgell

I have been reading some threads on this issue and some people have solved it by removing the power from the computer. Unplug your desktop, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Plug the computer back into the wall and reboot. Personally, I give this a long shot chance.

15. AlanH

AlanH Private E-2

Thanks for your help, not sure at this stage if I want to do a factory restore. A wireless mouse works, but I,m very inquisitive and would have liked to have found out why the corded mouse ceased to work

16. tgell

If the wireless device shows up in Device Manager, I wonder if disabling it, not uninstalling it, would let the corded mouse function.

17. AlanH

AlanH Private E-2

I tried the long shot by disconnecting the power and rebooting but infortunately the problem was not resolved. Also i cant find the Cordless Optical mouse in the device manager. I was always using a corded mouse but had to switch once the problem occurred

Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds