Core2Duo/Core2Quad (settle a bet)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlb, Mar 7, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

A friend of mine says that a Core2Duo is not a dual core CPU; he says it's actually four cores. The logic being Core2 and the Duo means 2 x 2 = 4.... following the same logic, a Core2Quad would be 2 x 4 = 8. He's convinced this is correct, I think it's a huge pile of :crap... I do understand his thinking, but his thinking is wrong. Right? Settle a bet for us, Core2Quad is not really 8 cores, is it?

2. ucanfixit

ucanfixit Private E-2

I am under the impression that the "Core 2" is the trademark name for the line of processors and the actual number of processors follow the trademark name (eg, duo=two and quad =four)... but don't take my answer to the bank! And since I'm too lazy to investigate further, I'm sticking with that assumption.

3. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

I think ucanfixit's answer is correct, but I am not an expert either.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  4. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its called Core 2 Duo as it is the next generation of Core Duo.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Perfect. Thanks guys. I knew I'd get some good info here. I win the bet! Free lunch for a week! :celebrate
    Now that makes perfect sense ;)
    Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds