Correct Tool-Size to Open an OLD Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grc123, Feb 21, 2011.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hello...I'm guessing this is a question not asked here every day...

I have a couple of old HD's (pics attached), and I'd like to open one of them.

It appears I will need a Torx bit, and it's smaller than a T10, because that's the smallest size I currently have, and it's too big.

I found smaller tools online, but I want to make sure I purchase the correct kit (don't want full kits as I already have most of the larger sizes), so, does anyone happen to know the correct size please? I'm guessing T5, but I see a T4 and a T5.5 for sale, in separate kits (of course), and again, really need to buy the correct one the first time around...

Thanks in advance...

Attached Files:

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Hard drive mfrs. use strange size screws for a reason: Unless a drive is opened in a special "clean room", even an invisible speck of dust will trash the platters and all the data stored on them.

If you're attempting to do data recovery, opening the drive will destroy any chance of successfully getting the data back. If data recovery programs or utilities such as Seagate's SeaTools don't do the trick your only (expensive) option is to send the drive to a professional data recovery service that has the right tools and dust-free "clean room" to do it properly.

If you're only opening the drive out of curiosity and don't need the data, disregard the above and check your local Harbor Freight Tools: They offer a 20-25 pack assortment of just about every strange driver bit available, often on sale as low as $3.99

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Yes, simply an exploratory mission ... I don't need anything that may be on the old 4 gig HD - thanks!

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

No problem. I've run into this question from clients before so I erred on the size of caution.

I don't know the exact bit type; however if there's a Harbor Freight Tools nearby I'd check out that 20-25 pack of odd-type security screw bits - my guess is one of them is likely to work. At about $5, it's worth a try. :)

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Agreed - sounds like a great kit for $5 (or less?)!

Take Care!

6. dave.m

dave.m Private First Class

Just tried with an old Western Digital HD that I have, and a T8 is the tork size that unscrews the screws.

dave

7. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I usually salvage the magnets from old HDD's

8. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks Dave - Good to know! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds