Corrupt User Account

Discussion in 'Software' started by sobeit, Jun 1, 2010.

1. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Hi all.
    I have my user account and the guest account on this pc.
    Every now and again, when someone has used the guest account and logged off, I cannot get into my account until I reboot.
    Either the password box cannot be typed in, so I have to reboot, or a box comes up telling me that it could not load my account.
    It then takes me to a fresh account, neither mine or the guest account.
    I have tried deleting the guest account and all its files and starting again but the problem persits.
    Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a common theme, it is very random.
    Any clues??
    Cheers.

XP Home SP3,K7NF2-RAID Mobo,Ath xp 3200+ @2.2Ghz
    1024mb RAM,NVIDIA GeForce 6600,Seagate 160gb HD

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Disable the Guest Account in XP:
    1. Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management
    2. Expand System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Users
    3. Right click on Guest and select Properties
    4. Put check/tick in "Account is disabled"

You as the administrator, should be able to create a different account for visitors - do not call it guest - with limited capability, if you need an account for others to use on your computer.

3. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the reply.
    I have got as far as Computer Management.
    I expand system tools but have no option for 'Local Users and Groups'??
    I have 'Event Viewer', 'Shared Folders', 'Performance Logs and Alerts' and 'Device manager'

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

OK try this. Make sure your account is an administrator account or this will not work. Hold down the start key and press R. This should bring up the run box. Type in "gpedit.msc" without the quote marks, and press OK or hit enter.

In the file menu tree on the left look for "Windows settings" and double click on it. This should open up more menu options. In these look for "Security Settings" and double click on that. Then double click on "Local Policies" and then "Security Options". In the main window there should now be a long list of entries. Towards the top should be "Accounts: Guest Account Status". Double click on this and click in the "disabled" circle. Then click "Apply" at the bottom of the small window, then click "OK" and then close the large window. This should disable the guest account.

Post back if you have problems with this.

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

There is no gpedit.msc in XP home.:(

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Isn't there? Oops. Sorry, disregard last post.:-o

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

@ Collinsl: Only exists in XP Pro. sigh.

Why can you not access Users in the control panel? Is that not taking you to the user control window?

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

You should be able to either do one of the following:

Go to the control panel and double click users, and then from there if need be disable the guest account.

or

click START, then RUN, then type in: control userpasswords2 (press enter)
    click the advanced tab, then the advanced button. This should also bring up user manager.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  9. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the replies.
    Do you all think it is only the 'guest account' that can cause this??
    I'm struggling to remember but i'm pretty sure that a ordinary limited account did the same thing.
    It never happens when it is my account being used.
    I'll give it a go, get rid of the guest and try a normal limited and see what happens.
    Any other suggestions in the mean time.....................

BTW, theefool, when i open the 'user accounts', under 'users' there are 3 accounts, mine (as administrator), guest and another 'Administrator' that doesn't show at the welcome screen. Is this normal?
    Cheers.

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do not get rid of the guest account, simply turn it off. That's how I have mine set on all the XP computers.

Yes. That administrator account, which is invisible in windows is needed as a back door to get into your computer if windows is trashed. Do not alter that one in any way.

11. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

I'll give that a try and see how we go.
    Cheers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds