Corrupted Memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by samthunder, Jul 1, 2007.

1. samthunder

samthunder Private First Class

I have two Corsair XMS3200 1024MB sticks at 400mhz. Upon deleting WinXP and installing Vista my computer stopped booting up. I finally made it work by pulling one of the memory sticks. It seems odd that it worked fine up until now and suddenly crapped out.

My first question is if there is something to try to make my current "bad" one work again. I'll take any educated guesses as to whether it is the memory stick or the motherboard.

Secondly, I'm currently operating on ONE of the Corsair sticks, could someone recommend a memory upgrade for me to buy? My motherboard is an Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe.

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

did you verify it was bad? Run Memtest86+ on both stick to be sure. Keep in mind memory usually has a lifetime warranty (10 years) , so you should be able to send it in to the manufacturer for free/cheap replacement if it is truly bad.

3. sande

sande Private E-2

I have just installed DSL verizon (from dialup) and with majorgeeks help have removed all? the spyware. Everything is running slow, and my memory is at 100% - maxed out, internet is beyond SLOOOOOOOOW, and I may have 2 versions on IE (somehow), have lost IE toolbar, and am in dire need of some help. Thank you to all.

4. samthunder

samthunder Private First Class

I am unable to run any memory software because if I plug the stick in, one of two things happen. Either the computer resets itself while in the "Windows is loading" screen, or the monitor refuses to turn on and I hear the message "Memory test failed". I assume its just a bad stick of RAM, but if these symptoms sound familiar to anyone, let me know. I can afford to upgrade my memory, but I'm unsure of what kind/brand/amount to buy.

Let me know if you have any thoughts.

5. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Based on job experience (customer/tech support for a RAM company) yes, the symptoms sound very familiar. I'd suggest you either replace it under warranty, or replace it with a new part. :)

6. jimmy_iz_god

jimmy_iz_god Private E-2

yea corsair ususally comes with lifetime warranty. id get it sent back.
    if you want to get new mem, (im assuming its only ddr) than id go for any kind but with a 667MHZ speed, rather than 400

7. sande

sande Private E-2

Thank you for the response. As a risk-taker (forever living on the edge), thinking I may lose everything, updated XP Home to XP Pro, which after the usual MS runaround to verify, update, etc., now have a stable PC. I then went through the complete MajorGeeks malware removal process, and will post all my results, and observations - soon. As it turned out, the memory was not the problem, only a symptom. I believe IE was corrupted, along with who knows what else, but only the Super MajorGeeks here may be able to understand exactly what happened when my attachments are seen.
    All of you are phenominal people for helping this geeklet out. Thank You MUCH!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds