Corrupted my 98SE/OS by slaving infected HD?

Discussion in 'Software' started by nysengineer, Mar 21, 2005.

1. nysengineer

nysengineer Private E-2

Greetings Wise Geeks:

I was attempting to gain access to a possibly infected (standard PC) Fujitsu HD (from an apx. 5 y/o Gateway tower system) by slaving it to a Win98SE Western Digital HD (on a Dell Dimension XPS R450 PII system) containing virus detection/repair tools.

FDISK said the Fujitsu contained a 'non-DOS' partition, which made no sense, as it came from a Win98SE system. Suspecting virus, I wiped and successfully restored Win98SE to the Fujitsu HD, without problems, on the Gateway system it came from.

However, upon trying to use my Western Digital (Dell) "toolkit" system, I realized the OS had become corrupted, with lots .chk files, a missing win.com file, a corrupted registry error, and so on. I now also have a Windows.001 folder, possibly because I partially ran (then quit) Windows setup with the hope of finding the setup option of repairing an existing OS (no joy - the setup program did not show me this option). Foolishly, I have no backup of my Western Digital hard-drive. Now my questions:

1. Can known-good master hard drive get corrupted during the boot process by it being connected to an infected slave? I always assumed virus could only become active on a drive that was booted to, but maybe I'm wrong.

Or is it more likely that I corrupted my master, during the boot process, by improperly jumpering the slaved drive?

2. What software tool(s) do you guys suggest I use in attempting to repair my Western Digital Win98SE installation? I have lots and lots of software I don't want to re-install to this HD, if I can avoid it.

I have Symantec/Norton "System Works Professional Edition" '01 handy, but would like suggestions on other software that might do the repair job better.

I suspect I'll end up retrieving my datafiles from my corrupted Western Digital HD, and then wiping and re-installing my software, but I'm willing to give some repair software a shot on this system, especially since it's my own system and not someone else's.

Thanks in advance for kind feedback.

Appreciatively,

Larry Kelley
    Saratoga, NY

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

First question is: Have you tried booting to DOS and then typing SCANREG/RESTORE in order to try an earlier (and hopefully working) version of the registry? :confused:

2nd question: If you cannot boot to DOS on the hard drive, can you boot uo using a Win98SE bootdisk (floppy)? In other words so you can then try SYS C:
    I'm just asking because its best to try the easy things first :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds