Corrupted Registry Files in an OEM-installed operating system

Discussion in 'Software' started by MacNimon, Nov 27, 2006.

1. MacNimon

MacNimon Private E-2

I've got a problem with my daughters pc, when booting up I get the error message \SystemRoot\ System32\ Config\ SOFTWARE is corrupt on a blue screen. I've found the Microsoft page with instructions on how to fix this problem, but it states not to attempt it on a pc with an OEM-installed operating system. My daughter's pc has xp pre-installed, and we don't have an installation disc. Even if we borrowed one from somebody else, would we be able to follow these instructions or would this screw things up further as it wouldn't be the right copy of xp for that particular pc? :confused:

Can anyone help?

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> My daughter's pc has xp pre-installed, and we don't have an installation disc. Even if we borrowed one from somebody else, would we be able to follow these instructions or would this screw things up further as it wouldn't be the right copy of xp for that particular pc? <<

Two questions:

Is your daughter's computer covered by any manufacturer warrantee?
    Have you tried calling, emailing or IMing the PC manufacturer (i.e. Dell, Gateway, etc) regarding this problem?

Note: Even if they cannot help you with this specific registry problem; you should still ask them if they can send you a copy of an XP installation disk.

My sister recently purchased an older "refurbished" model of a Dell Dimension 8400 (that she got from e-bay). When it was delivered, she noticed that it had Win XP Pro installed; but came without the Win XP Pro installation disk. She called Dell and explained the situation. Once she was able to prove ownership of the computer - by providing the Dell Service Tag number - they not only sent her the Win XP Pro installation disk w/ SP2 included, but they also sent her the Dell Dimension Resource Disk (w/drivers and utilities).

Good Luck!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  3. MacNimon

MacNimon Private E-2

The warranty on the pc expired a few months ago. It's a Dell pc, I bought it online directly from them, so I should probably be able to prove this pretty easily. I just wasn't aware that they'd be able/willing to provide a copy of the installation disc.

Thanks for that, I'll look out our old purchase details etc and get onto them. Much appreciated! :)

4. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> It's a Dell pc, I bought it online directly from them, so I should probably be able to prove this pretty easily. I just wasn't aware that they'd be able/willing to provide a copy of the installation disc. Thanks for that, I'll look out our old purchase details etc and get onto them. Much appreciated! <<

Oh great, you actually bought the computer from them! This is good. Your odds of getting a replacement XP installation CD are much better. Now, here's a few "tips" that you may find useful for when you contact them (either by phone or PC via email or IM, etc)...

First of all whoever contacts the Dell people; be very polite. These people take crap from just about everyone who calls and politeness goes a long way.

Before you call (or contact them online) make sure that you have the Service Tag and Dell Express Service Code ready. This Express Service Code is a conversion of your Service Tag to a numeric format that allows for easy entry into Dell's automated call-routing system and online site tools.

This information code is actually a bar-coded label which should be affixed and readable on the back or on the side panel of your daughter's PC housing. If not (sometimes they wear out a little over time) check out your "old purchase details" etc and they both should be listed there.

To locate your Express Service Code, via the computer; perform the following steps:

1) Click the Start button.
    2) Point to All Programs.
    3) Click Dell Accessories.
    4) Click Express Service Code.
    5) The Dell Express Service Code window appears

The PC's Service Tag and Express Service Code will be listed in the window.

You can "Call Dell" at this number 1-800-WWW-DELL. (Here are the three Dell Service Dept numbers as well (800)-820-8965 or (800)-624-9897 or (800)-627-1170).

As soon as they pick up the phone; tell them that you kept the information that you received in the box when you originally purchased the Dell (don't forget to mention that you bought it online directly from them) and then when you recently needed the Windows XP disk to re-install the operating system; you noticed that it was not there.

They probably will not hesitate to send you a disk; but if they do tell them that you'd be even willing to pay like 10 dollars for it. Trust me it is well worth it.

If you want to "Contact a Dell Technician" directly online; here is the link (also here) where you can do so. You'll need to enter your Service Tag so have it ready if you go the online route as well.

Good Luck!

5. MacNimon

MacNimon Private E-2

That's brilliant!!! Thanks a lot for that, it's much appreciated! :)

And yes, I'll be polite...I always find that people tend to be more helpful when you do this. Thanks again!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds