Corrupted Word Doc file

Discussion in 'Software' started by jmacintosh, Nov 8, 2011.

1. jmacintosh

jmacintosh Private E-2

I am not sure where to post this but I have a word document that now somehow is all jumbled with wierd characters. I have attempted to use whatever available converters there are in Word but so far I've gotten no further.

Any advice on where to start would be appreciated.

Jeff

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It would help if you mentioned what version of Windows you are running AND what version of Office.

3. jmacintosh

jmacintosh Private E-2

I have tried to open the file on a Windows 7 computer and a Windows XP Pro SP3 computer both running MS Office. Both computers are running MS Word 2002 (10.6866.6870) SP3.

This file was working fine, but now suddenly it wants me to run a converter. If I try to use it it still opens a file full of jibberish. I've tried using several options for the language conversion. I can even send you the file of you like.

4. jmacintosh

jmacintosh Private E-2

Was this the info you were looking for?

5. plodr

6. jmacintosh

jmacintosh Private E-2

Yes, I believe those are the correct versions of Office XP. The file has a .doc extension

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Is the text entirely wrong, or is it that your text is there but is interspersed with other characters?

8. jmacintosh

jmacintosh Private E-2

It tells me to select encoding that makes the document readable but none of them work. it looks like this...

Attached Files:

9. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It isn't what I thought it might be but Word 2002 Help has an article Troubleshoot Encoded Text Files which, if you haven't already seen it might possibly help.

10. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

No guarantee's but see if this utility will help. You probably should use a copy of the corrupt file instead of the original to try the repair on.

http://www.repairmyword.com/

11. plodr

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds