Corupted Windows 98???

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ladycarr, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Ladycarr

Ladycarr Private E-2

Hi! My problem is that the letters on my monitor begin to waver and break apart. Sometimes it looks like they are mutipul and lying over each other. This happens in Midroswoft Word and on internet explorer. I thought it was the monitor, which is really old, but, it did not happen in "Safe Mode". So...do you think it is a Windows 98 coruption Problem? How can I fix this. I do not have the Windows 98 Disk. Thank;you for your help and comments.

Ladycarr

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

The first most obvious thing would be to update the video card driver and then check the settings and resolution.

3. Ladycarr

Ladycarr Private E-2

Thank you. Ok how shall I find what I have for a video card and how to update the driver. Another thing about this problem is that I have to turn off the computer and let it cool down and then the screen will be ok for 10 min or so. I will reboot to see if I can catch the video card Id. Thank you.

4. Insomniac

Download Everest Home Edition from HERE and install it.

It will tell you what hardware you have and provide links for the drivers.

Once you have done that then check the settings in Display Properties. (right-click a blank part of your Desktop, then properties)

If it still does it after you have updated the driver and settings, then it's more than likely the monitor itself.

Good luck.

5. trespasser1234

trespasser1234 Private E-2

I would tend to agree with you that its the drivers, but not after hearing that when they turn off compy for 10 min for cooldown then boot up and everything is ok. Most definatly a heat issue. Open up your case and see what type of cooling system your video card has. Does it have a fan? If so, is it working? Are there any other cards right next to the video card? You might be able to solve your problem by simply improving the airflow past your vid card and maybe adding an exaust fan or 2.

6. Ladycarr

Ladycarr Private E-2

Hi! I did the everest down load and have the driver name. Pro Savage [TM] KM 1339377), s3-8m.drv. Ship Id 8a26. Only thing is that the driver updates appear to be for windows 2000 and newer. I am running on Windows 98 so I was wanting to ask if these drivers would be ok for my computer.

Thank you for your help. I will look into the fan issue also. Sometimes it is loud.

Jeanie

7. Insomniac

No Windows 2000 ones aren't suitable.

You need Windows 98 drivers if that's what you have.

Assuming that's the correct model of your card, then they are available HERE.

Try the one down the bottom for Win 9X/Me without the utils.

8. Ladycarr

Ladycarr Private E-2

Thank you. Well I down loaded the drive file and used the win zip wizard but, I don't know what I am doing. If I installed the driver or not. I'm sorry. I'm not sure how to do this.

Thank you for you help.

Jeanie

9. Insomniac

It's been a while since I've used 98 and Winzip.

The zip file is just a container (compressed folder), with the drivers and files inside it.

Unless it's self-extracting, you need to click on the drivers executable. It's the one with the extension .exe

Just double-click on it and it should do the rest.

You can check which driver you are using by looking in Everest which you already have.

It should be under Display, then Windows Video and look on the right-hand side and it will tell you the Installed drivers.

The ones you downloaded are I think 13.00.37 so it should say that somewhere as the driver number.

10. Ladycarr

Ladycarr Private E-2

Hi Insommniac:

Thank you for your help. I very much appreciate it.

I am still struggling with the driver. I ran the Everest report again and it appears the new driver is not yet in place. Or, may be its the same driver re-installed. I don't know.

Do you think we could try another driver for Windows 98 SE? Do you think I should buy another operating system to run on my 800 MHz AMD Duron CPU?

Thank you.

Jeanie

PS. do you want me to continue to post messages to you here or should I use the private message.

Screen is braacking up will be back in 10 minutes to let it rest.

Jeanie

11. Insomniac

If it's not doing it in Safe Mode than it's more than likely the driver or something loading with Windows causing it.

If it's doing it all the time then it's more than likely the monitor.

There is no use buying another operating system, especially as your hardware is a bit dated, and if that is your video card then there are no other drivers.

The site for the driver I supplied is the manufacturers site.

I don't use Winzip any more and haven't done for years so I can't remember the exact procedure, but when you double click on the zip file what happens?

Also, what driver and what version does Everest say you are using?

12. Ladycarr

Ladycarr Private E-2

Hi! Everest Report says:

Display
    Video Adapter s3 Graphics ProSavage (16mg)
    3D Accelerator s3 Savage 4

Windows Video [S3 Graphics Pro Savage]

Device Description S3 Graphics Pro Savage
    Chip Type Pro Savage
    DAC Type Internal
    Installed Drivers s3_8m.drv
    Memory Size 16 MB
    Video Adapter Manufacture
    Company Name S3 Graphics
    Product Information http://www.s3graphics.com
    Driver Download http://www.s3graphics.com/DRVVIEW.HTM

On the bottom of the s3graphics.com/DRVVIEW.HTM page, there is a link for other drivers. But, I dont know which one to pick.

Thank you.
    Jeanie

13. Insomniac

The driver you have "s3_8m.drv" installed is the latest one.

Whether you managed the installation from the link I gave you or whether it was already installed, either way it's the latest one available.

Right-click your desktop, then properties, then settings tab and check the settings in there.

What size monitor is it?

What are the settings in the settings tab?

Does it do it in Safe Mode or not?

14. Ladycarr

Ladycarr Private E-2

Hi!
    Display Properties settings
    Default Monitor on S3 Graphics Pro Savage
    High Color 16 bit
    Screen area 600 to 800 pixels (have it on about 650)

General
    small fonts, Ask me before applying new color settings (checked)

Adapter/Driver Information
    Manufacturer: S3 Graphics, Inc.
    Chip type: ProSavage Rev A
    DAC type: Internal
    Memory 16 MB
    Features: Direct Draw 1.00
    Software version 4.0
    Current files: s3_8m.drv."vdd,"vflatd.s3vdd8m.vxd.S3_8M (cut off from sight)

Monitor
    Automatically detct Plug & Play monitors
    Reset deplay on suspend/resume

Performance
    Hardware Acceleration set to full

Default Monitor Profile None

I am checking again to see if it does it in safe mode. Last time it was clear.
    Thank you.

Sould I buy a new video card????
    Back in a few minutes.
    Jeanie

15. Ladycarr

Ladycarr Private E-2

Dear Insommiac:

Yes, Last Night I opened in Safe Mode and stayed on the computer for at least a half hour with no display problems. Then I reopened in regular mode without cooling the computer down and the screen was extreamly bad. The display was so blurry I could not even quess to use it.

Also, please see Specs below.

Thank you for your help.
    Jeanie

I quess this means it is not the monitor.
    I hear the fan working.
    Is the Video Card replaceable?
    I will try to down load the driver again.

Thank you for your help.
    Sorry to be such a pain.
    Jeanie

16. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Ladycarr,

Have you tried reducing the Hardware acceleration. This is found by right clicking anywhere on the desktop going to the Settings Tab then the advanced button then the Performance tab and moving the slider to none. If this works then move the slider back up in stages.

If it does work on the lower setting it may still mean your video card is on the way out :(

17. Insomniac

The most likely culprit would be the video card.

My mother's computer had the exact same problem and it turned out to be that.

For a dated system like yours you will probably have to source it second hand as I doubt a new card would work in yours or be worth the outlay.

Monitor and drivers are always a possibility, but from what you are saying it looks like the video card, although I can't guarantee anything via the internet.

Try Yargwells suggestion to turn down the acceleration.

That won't fix the problem, but it will make the video card not have to work as hard so it may just go away.

18. Ladycarr

Ladycarr Private E-2

Ok! Thank you, Insommnic, for all your help. I really appreceiate it.

God Bless you, and yours.

Jeanie

19. Ladycarr

Ladycarr Private E-2

Hi! Well after a while, the graphics seemed to switch to a lesser sophisticated format. I figured the graphics card died and the graphics that came with the basic computer took over. It was ok just seemed less clear. Like it had less pixels.

Yesterday I took the comuter to be repaired and told them I wanted a new graphics card. They told me that it didn't have one. I told them that we did the analysis and that it had a Savage graphics card. They said they would diagnose it and they said that 8 diods were out and so they did a capasitor replacement. Well when I go home tonight and tried it out the coputer graphics is doing the same thing as before.

They didn't listen to me...

What should I do now :(. May be I could disable the Savage malfunctioning graphics card somehow. I was better off before they fixed the capasitors.

Thank you for your comments.
    Jeanie

20. Insomniac

Capacitors and diodes, they have to be kidding!

Computers are user-serviceable, meaning anything that doesn't work can be simply removed and a new board or card installed, it's that easy and doesn't include soldering capacitors or diodes.

It has to have a graphics card, either a seperate card, or as a chip on the main board.

You will have to find someone who actually has some sort of an idea and get them to change the card for you.

Although it's a simple procedure, it's not really something that you can be guided through over the internet, unless you are comfortable pulling the cover off the PC and have a general idea.

Anyway, as I said, find someone reputable and get them to source you a suitable card or fix the problem.

Beyond that, there is not a lot more that can be done.

Good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds