Could the end to Mandriva be near?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ichase, Nov 8, 2010.

1. ichase

ichase Corporal

While I have been doing A LOT of reading and research to learn on my new build, I came across this. Some of you hardcore Mandriva users (Like Hawklord) may have already seen this or more than likely been privy to what is going on with them.
    Thought I would pass this on. :)

2. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

i really have to be the bearer of bad news,

mandriva is indeed on its way to linux heaven :cry:cry:cry

the mandriva company has been bought by a russian company

http://linuxunited.org/en/4254.html

but - there is hope on the horizon,
    a new distribution may rise from the ashes called mageia (magic in greek, maybe a play on what mandriva used to be called - mandrake, i believe there was a magician called mandrake)

http://mageia.org/en/

this is a fork of mandriva, a bit like pclinuxos is a fork of mandriva,

there should have been a release of 2011.0 by now, but due to all the kerfuffle there isn't,

being a bit shallow (me that is), when i was first diving into the world of linux i found there was so many to choose from - so i picked a name i liked - mandrake,
    problem was i was a little to late, mandrake bought conectiva and had to change their name - mandriva was born,
    didn't like the name much at first (or gnome, which was my first desktop) - but it grew on me, especially when i changed to kde,
    so now i'm in the same place - mageia doesn't roll off my tongue, but it may grow on me:confused

for now though - and the foreseeable future - i'll be sticking with my true love mandriva:drool

(stop the violin now)

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

hawklord, was that Mandrake 9.0 or so that became Mandriva?

I cannot remember, but I remember not liking the gnome desktop!

I gave my son-in-law the old Compaq with a cracked screen and the cowz theme on it. He said he did not like the "moo" at boot with the cracked screen and discarded it..... I wanted to smack him. That ran great using external monitor!!

4. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

it was mandrake 10,

i still have an iso of it, might load it into a vm just to see if its still alive

5. ichase

ichase Corporal

Hawk, thanks for posting the article. If I read this correctly and if you look at the long list of contributors, the vast majority either worked directly for Mandriva or were contributors to it. Other than a name change to Mageia, I can only expect to see this being a continuation of Mandriva 2010.1 but as mentioned with a different name. So in the grand scheme of things, all is not lost but will only continue to get better. And most of the die hard Mandriva folks will more than likely still call if Mandriva :-D. I still see the name Mandrake floating around in reference to more recent releases.
    Let's face it, we are all creatures of habit. :cool
    Like the anticipation of a long awaited movie, I sit back with my popcorn, feet propped up awaiting the start of Mageia. :cool

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hehehe, there was once a Mandrake, then a Mandriva and now whatever that jumble of letters is. rolleyes I truly wish them well.:)

7. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

its mageia pronounced mag-i'-ah - but thats not certain as i'm not greek or a magician rolleyes

and word has it that there is an alpha release in december, so we can all have a look

8. ichase

ichase Corporal

Looks like you have the inside scoop Hawk.
    Mageia to see alpha this December

They say the Logo is going to be introduced very soon. Curious to see that as well. :)

9. ichase

ichase Corporal

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds