Counter-Strike / Half-Life

Discussion in 'Software' started by comperroruter, Jan 26, 2006.

1. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

Do I absolutely have to use Steam to connect to these servers? I am starting to think that Steam is the reason I am lagging so badly after a while. When I first installed it I had no lag, no matter where I played. No I get booted from servers constantly, and I continually lag. If Steam is not the reason, what else could be?

Thanks all.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

For source you need steam, i think you can possibly find 1.6 servers that dont' require it, but its highly unlikely.

3. stevo4

stevo4 Private E-2

Btw,

Does anyone know what the deal is with re-selling HL1 or HL2 on ebay, eb games, etc?

I've completed the games, but can i sell them now that i've registered the games and the serial number? What do others do?

Thanks.

stevo

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Once your register to steam, you can't resell the games, unless somebody also purchased your steam account, which is tyied to your email address.

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You can resell the game, although I don't know about the legalities.

A friend bought HL2 that was used, and he had no problems starting a new account.

Steam is more concerned with legit Product Keys rather than anything else.

They themselves resell games that have been returned and refunded (with the original product key).

Comperroruter, Steam is a pain in the arse. Try reinstalling it and try different servers.

There isn't a great deal you can do, apart from not buying any Steam apps again.

6. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

Heheh... I auctioned my steam account on Ebay...

I read one of the Valve Staff say on their forums that as long as you include the original game and the box and all the stuff that came with it, you can sell it... Of course, your cd-key is linked to your steam account... Typically it's illegal (per their EULA agreement), to just sell accounts (name & password)....

Someone paid me $150 for a 4 digit steam ID (4399)....

Valve contacted Ebay and got my auction shut down but I had already ended it early and the guy paid me... So I mailed him out my game (including CD case) and in the end we both got what we wanted....

7. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

yes you need steam for both source and 1.6 for internet play. if you want to play across a lan, then you will not need steam.

8. *WavyGravy*

*WavyGravy* Corporal

When I bought my new pc, HL2 came free with my amd processor. So I downloaded the game through Steam( took 32 minutes), but after all the trouble to get it to run correctly it would still freeze. I wont buy a Steam product now, not until they take that crap off their games.

*Wavy*

9. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Steam great idea, poor impletation if you ask me, i think steam sucks mostly cause for dialup users or people with no internet, can't use steam games easly. My normal process for patching games, is that i go to somewere with high speed, ie a friends, or work, and download the patch through it on a jump drive and take it home, but thats not possible with steam, but now i am getting cable internet so its cool.

10. Insomniac

It's not a great idea, far from it.

You don't make legitimate customers jump through hoops in the hope of curbing piracy, which doesn't work anyway.

What really bothers me is if other companies copy this "idea".

Then you will have a dozen "Steams" running in the background just so you can use an application or play a game that you own.

Great idea? Yeah right. :eek:

11. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Wow, you don't have to leave steam running all the time, i sure don't. Steam has cut piracy by bunches. I'm sorry, steams really not that bad.

12. Insomniac

"Steam has cut piracy by bunches"

:D

It was cracked from day 1, so how do you figure that out?

And you must have Steam running to play the game.

If you think it's a good app, go to the Valve forums and read all the problems.

13. *WavyGravy*

*WavyGravy* Corporal

*Stands up and claps*

Once you buy the game you should only have to visit the site for patches, and I didnt care for the "Survey" Steam did on my pc without my consent.

"You don't make legitimate customers jump through hoops in the hope of curbing piracy, which doesn't work anyway." --Insomniac

Exactly my point.

*Wavy*

14. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

Actually it's pretty annoying... They roll out these updates and their updates in turn create new bugs and technical problems for users that have to wait for new updatest to fix the problems caused by the old updates....

My steam was running great and then they roll out an update and suddenly it's buggy as hell... My favorites list gets deleted, it freezes up on me when I exit out of CS, lags while I'm opening new steam windows...

Friends list was a great idea.... too bad it worked (with bugs) for maybe 8 months and has been down for another 18 months...

for the most part my steam runs okay but all the little technical mishaps are just annoying... they need to test their new updates thoroughly before sending them out and then having to deal with the newfound complications they create....

people just want to play their games without any problems and with no instability... if you read their forums on their website, you'll see that plenty of people have had very bad experiences with steam and I certainly don't point the finger at them for that...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds