Couple of "Open Office" Questions...

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Jan 15, 2011.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Open Office ("OO") seems to be having a few issues on my PC (screenshots attached).

"Occasionally", it seems, it will not "hold", or "pick-up" items in my clipboard (items that I've right-clicked>copied or cut).

And though I have not seen that issue for a few weeks now (it seems), what I did notice just now is that the "Spell Check" in OO is "there", (displaying as if it's working), but it is not working. In other words, I spell checked the word; "beneficient" (clearly misspelled here as it was/is in my document), and the spell check asks/prompts: "Continue checking at beginning of document?" - to which I select/click "Ok", and then I get a "The spellcheck is complete" message, with NO change/correction having been performed.

My QUESTION: Might an update correct this? Or is a complete uninstall/reinstall a better idea, please?

Thanks in advance...

Attached Files:

2. Lmason5

Lmason5 Private E-2

I would tell you to do a complete reinstall it will fix any problems you have.

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, grc123.

From what I understand, spell checking within Open Office is dependent upon loaded and enabled dictionaries. Yours seems to be a common problem - check out this OpenOffice.org Spell check and Language configuration tutorial.

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

And FYI, beneficient is a word. Maybe not the one that you want, but it's a word in Webster's.

Ben`e*fi"cient\, a. Beneficent. [Obs.]
    Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Sorry for the delay gang...I've been out of action...Thank you ALL very much, for the info, links - everything!

And handygal - YES! I realize beneficent is a word...and it's the word I wanted...it's just that the spelling will throw me some days :)

Thanks to all again...going to do an uninstall-reinstall right NOW!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds