CPU almost constantly at 100%

Discussion in 'Software' started by Eilenach, May 30, 2012.

1. Eilenach

Eilenach Private E-2

Hi guys,

my laptop has been really slow for quite some time now. I finally decided to try to do something about it, cause it is slowly getting unusable. Basically all I use is Firefox and Spotify, but still this seems to be too much. The CPU almost directly hit 100% when I do something.

The laptop ain't exactly new, it is 5 years old, but AMD Turion 64 MK-36 2 GHz, 1 GB RAM (of which 128 MB is spent for the graphics) and currently 18 GB free on C:\ should be enough to keep Win XP and Firefox going...

I've run all the malware checks and the laptop seems to be clean. For more information on this, please see this thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=258843

Does anyone have any idea on what could be the problem and how it can be solved?

Thanks in advance!
    Christian

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

What all is running in the background?
    Boot-time scanners or defraggers?
    When was the last good defrag?

3. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

If you turn off your firewall temporarily does the problem persist?

4. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Well you might have too manually edit the Firefox Settings so that it can use less ram

If you think that Firefox is consuming a lot of memory than try out this. Go to the address bar on your Firefox browser and write about:config

Write down on the filter browser.cache and select browser.cache.disk.capacity. By default it’s usually set to 50000. This value could be lowered depending on how much ram you have. Try 20000 if you have between 512Mb and 1GB of Ram. If you have less than 512Mb then reduce to 10000.

Well if you are able to give us More info Use Speccy
    http://majorgeeks.com/Speccy_d6358.html

We can skim threw the list and see what is running.
    In speccy Save the File As a Text File and load it up to the post as a attachment.

Another Question how much Music do you have on the Hard Drive with Spotify

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

6. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds