CPU at 100% and System Slows Down At Start Up

Discussion in 'Software' started by JSalt, Apr 23, 2005.

1. JSalt

JSalt Private E-2

I am running XP. Today om start up it kept hanging and took 15 minutes to show all icons. Then when trying to open programs it did the same. Can only operate in Safe mode. Have done Trend Micro scan, Trojan Hunter and Ad Aware and it appears clean. When I check Windows Task Manager in regular mode the System is at 99%. Can anyone help?

2. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Try
    run>msconfig>startup items>
    try disabling some.

3. JSalt

JSalt Private E-2

Thanks but still 99% System Process in regular mode. In Safe mode System Process at 0%.

4. Anon-068c403e2d

In taskmgr which process is using high cpu?

5. Oldman

Oldman Private First Class

I've ran into this, it turned out to be his antivirus program. I've heard the same from others as well. try disabling your av prog and see if thats it. (only takes a couple of secs to try... :) )

6. Anon-068c403e2d

Oldman:Could it be that the av is running a scan?

7. frustrated

frustrated Private E-2

Since you have Trend-Micro I assume you have PC-cillin internet security 2005. I had the same issue starting yesterday - I assume they must have had a bad update! I found this article on their KB. Take a look:

http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/search/main/search/solutionDetail.asp?solutionId=24264

Here are the details of the article in case you can't get there:

Problem: This issue has been reported mostly by users with PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 installed on a computer with Microsoft Windows XP + Service Pack 2 (SP2) operating system.

Solution: To resolve the issue:

Start the machine in safe mode:

If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power.

Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.

Start entering the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears.

Note: If the Keyboard Error message appears, restart the computer and try again.

Select the Safe mode option.

Press Enter. The computer will then begin to start in Safe mode.

Go to the c:\program files\trend micro\Internet Security 2005 directory then delete lpt$vpn.593 and/or lpt$vpn.594.

Restart the computer. After restarting, open PC-cillin and perform an update by clicking Update Components.

In case you are unable to update properly, a manual update can be performed. Refer to Solution 21946.

Hope this helps!

8. JSalt

JSalt Private E-2

Thanks Frustrated, that did it. It was the PC-cillin internet security 2005 update. I wish I would have know before I spent about 6 hours troubleshooting. Thanks again.

9. frustrated

frustrated Private E-2

I'm glad it worked out for you! Sometimes these darned computers (that are suppose to make your life so much simpler) can give a person the biggest headaches!

Laura

10. JSalt

JSalt Private E-2

You are very right. I spent about 6 hours Saturday scanning, searching websites and calling friends. Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds