cpu blues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BLOODxFILTER, May 25, 2005.

1. BLOODxFILTER

BLOODxFILTER Private E-2

i have a Mother board with a 754 socket yet when i looked at new cpu coming out none seemed to be 754

2nd whats Hyper transport

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Socket 754's are a dieing breed. AMD has moved to socket 939 now. Of course it's still fairly easy to find 754's on the market, but they arn't making new 754 anymore. All the new chips are 939. So if you want to do a serious upgrade later on you'll have to get a new motherboard. Of course for now it's not a big issue. 754 chips go to at least 3000+.

Hyper transport is eseentially the same thing as hyper threading. It's just AMD's version of it, and it has a diffrent name because of some small diffrences and the fact that intel has the rights to the other name.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

white paper:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/con.../HyperTransport_IO_Link_Whitepaper_25012A.pdf

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

As coco said it isnt a problem at the moment unless you want to run a really high end cpu like the fx's but if you can afford one of them you can certainly afford $150 for a new mobo,the last time I checked scan the shop I get my stuff from they were still selling a64 3700 clawhammers for 754 boards and are actually cheaper than the 939 3500 venice cores.

Unless your running a sempron,or the a64 2800 or 3000,the performance increase isn't worth the money IMHO. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds