CPU Cooling / Monitoring Software for WinXP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RJCapt, Sep 9, 2004.

1. RJCapt

RJCapt Private E-2

I found the download for WaterFall, and KCPUcooler, but they don't list WinXP as a supported OS. Will WaterFall still work fine with XP?

I have an HP Pavilion ze4805us Laptop w/ AMD XP-M 2800+, and 768MB Ram and lately it seems to be running hotter than normal and the fan kicks on to high speed even when it is sitting idle. I am starting to get concerned on heat, or what is running in the background that is using the processor, causing the fan to turn on. The Phoenix BIOS setup is lacking any info on CPU temps, so I don't even have an idea of how hot it is running. I'd like to find ways to help make it run cooler. Leaving the battery out with A/C plugged in helps with additional airflow and the fan doesn't run nearly as much.

I have installed Motherboard Monitor 5 with no success because this MoBo does not appear to be supported. MM5 shows my CPU @ 0 C.

Anyone have another software app that can monitor or tell me my CPU temp?

Any one else have this laptop? I'd like to compare notes with anyone else whom owns one of these laptops.

2. Ironsnipe

Ironsnipe Private First Class

It's normal to have the laptop's fan kick in even when it's idling and yes the sucker's gonna be hot but i wouldn't think too much of it. Those mobile processors are designed to cope with the hot heat. My cousin had a laptop with a 1800+ in it and it would burn your legs if you didn't have a pillow under it. It gets hot because the fan doesn't spin when ti's idling and the heat just keeps increasing because the processor only has a small heat sink on it. Then the fan kicks in a moves the hot air out and put new fresh cold air in to complete the weird cycle.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds