CPU Diode vs CPU Socket?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sleepygamer213, Aug 11, 2005.

1. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

On MBM5 it has CPU Diode and CPU Socket temps in my toolbar, which will give me a more accurate temperature of what my CPU temp is? Ive noticed the Socket temp kinda floats around the 45C area and the diode temp is kind of crazy going from mid forty's to high fiftys to sixty's then suddenly drops to 40 and bounces around like that during idle.

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

I believe the diode monitor is on the chip itself, so i suspect it is more likely to fluctuate, possibly because it it simply not very accurate or because it gets all the temperature spikes caused by normal activity (even idle activity). The socket monitor is usually located immediately below the CPU on the motherboard inside the socket. It will be insulated by the air gap between the CPU and the monitor.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds