CPU getting LOUD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pevjones, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Pevjones

Pevjones Private E-2

I am running WindowsME - A couple of days ago my CPU started making funny noises and then was humming LOUD, then stopped, and now just hums louder than normal. Anyone know what causes this? :rolleyes:

2. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

Acouple of days ago my friend called me up and said that there was a fly stuck in his heatsink fan!

3. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Hi,

Regardless of the cause don't take a chance of that fan failing, just replace it there cheap

Rick

4. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

could just be dust built-up, clean with some compress air, as a first try, and cheap.......then go buy a new one

5. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

Are you certain its the CPU/FAN making that noise?????? Have you taken off the side of your case and investigated further?
    Wobbles made a very good suggestion, its good practise to clean out your machine with compressed air on a regular basis

What sort of temps is your machine running at?

6. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Noises like that are usually caused by moving parts. But figuring out which one is your problem. The CPU fan? The PSU fan? Your hard drive?

One way to see if a fan is causing the noise: open up the case, and power up the machine. Gently touch the hub of a spinning fan with the eraser end of a pencil (or your finger if you're brave and have a steady hand): if the noise you're tracking changes, you've found the source of the noise. But be sure you keep the pencil (and your fingers) away from the blades of the fan.

CPU and case fans are easy to deal with that way, and fortunately, they are the most likely culprits. But PSU fans are buried inside the PSU, and the fan hub may be inaccessible. Don't open the PSU to get at the fan -- you can take a dangerous jolt if you touch the wrong thing in there -- even if the power is off.

The rotating hub of the hard drive is certainly inaccessible, so you'll have to try another approach. For a hard drive, disconnect its power lead before starting the computer. If the noise doesn't reappear on re-starting, it may be time to think about replacing your hard drive while you can still get your data off it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds