CPU Identification?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Feanor23x, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Feanor23x

Feanor23x Private E-2

My GF managed t pick me up a new motherboard/CPU to replace my dying PIII.

From what I can see on the CPU itself (without wiping off the thermal grease - is this safe to do if I add more?), it is a P4, (c)01, 2.8Ghz, Socket 478. Is there any way to ID this further? Also, I see on sites like Toms Hardware that they talk about "Prescott" and "Northwood" cores. How do I find out what mine is?

2. Slaughter

Slaughter Private E-2

you can try googling numbers.. or if you boot it up, run CPU Z

3. Feanor23x

Feanor23x Private E-2

Haven't insatlled it yet, as I want to pick up a new case/power supply, and need to get a new sound card for it. I was just trying to see if there's any info on it so I can compare it to other CPUs....

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I would personally wipe all the thermal paste it has on now off and re-new with fresh ( preferably Artic Silver 5 ), to clean the paste off use rubbing alcohol or isopropanol and a q-tip/cottonwool bud.

then write down the numbers and as slaughter said run a google search.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds