cpu makes scratching sounds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marioman68, Nov 1, 2004.

1. marioman68

marioman68 Private E-2

when i am playing red alert 2 in the menus it starts to sound like my proccesor is making a scratching noise and when i turn on my computer when the windows logo pops up and and took of my side panile to see what it was and it was my procesor. plz help it it is not good to have that happen

2. ThisChick

ThisChick Corporal

hmmm....Never hurd that before....I say your f****d....

Maybe it could be your fan...buy a new one and see if you could still hear the noice....and if the noice continues your f****d....

f****d is my favorite bad word....

Did that help you.......

3. marioman68

marioman68 Private E-2

that might help but if anyone else has any think fill free to share

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Your processor has no moving parts to make noise. Download Everest http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html , install and run it. There will be an icon labeled 'computer', click it. You will see 5 icons, click the last one, labeled 'sensor'. you will see all your temperature, fan, and voltage information. The next time it makes the noise, run Everest and see if all your fans are running. I'd bet on a fan problem, though.

5. marioman68

marioman68 Private E-2

my computer doesnt have any sensors and my fan is on even when that scratching sound is there. it did start when i put in my nvidia geforce fx 5200 agp slot if that help any

6. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Is it a vary hi pitched sound ? Iv known CPUs to make a hi pitched sound (kind of a constent hi pitched shreek ) if the power supply is bad or going bad ( or just under to mutch load ) ......

7. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Take a closer look at your CPU fan, might as well check any fans you have runnig, noise could come from loose mountimg screws, also screws that are too tight?
    If your fans are dirty can result in noise?
    It is possible you have some wiring contacting your fans causing noise?
    Fans dont last forever, they get dirty, moving parts ware out, somethings just need alittle lube.
    ( had an girlfriend once that made a scratching noise, every now an then she even needed alittle lube )

sometimes its difficult to tell exactly what is making noise, HDD make noise, cd drives, floppies drives, any hardware that has moving parts can make noise, could be sign of failure.

Last thought, if your PC has an AGP slot it most likely does have some temp & possibly fan speed sensors, did you download everest as posted by just playing, if you didnt try it is a safe program and if your fan speed is monitored you can see if fan speed varies.

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

:eek: I'll watch out for a squeaking CPU in the future, then... :/

I would say its the barings on the CPU fan grinding. I'd get a new fan, save the hassle. It might be the fan on the graphics card, who knows.

It's definatley not the CPU itself though....

9. marioman68

marioman68 Private E-2

would the fan on the grafics card spin faster when its under more strese like when i am playing a game or something like that. and i did download that everest and when i clicked on sensor it showed nothing

10. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Hi,

I have a fx 5200 card and on a cold boot I get a similar sound lasting for up to 2 minutes then when it warms it goes away, finally narrowed it down to the fan on the card. Never has hurt anything (been doing it from new) but I never herd it when playing games.

As far as I know that fan spins at the same rpm all the time.

Rick

11. marioman68

marioman68 Private E-2

thx that makes me fill better

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds