CPU over heating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qldlifestyle, Nov 17, 2011.

1. qldlifestyle

qldlifestyle Private E-2

Hi,
    I'm getting an audio alarm to tell me my CPU is 81 deg C.
    It's been ok untill I installed the latest NVIDIA driver so I can play Battlefield 3.
    The warning sound is like a fire evacuation alarm and its going off on CRYSIS 2 as well as Battlefield.
    I'm trying to find the program sending the alarm. I'm not sure if once I find it should I adjust it up a little to say 85 deg C, or should I try to adjust the visual game settings so that the GPU isn't working so hard and takes the pressure of the CPU?

Im looking for some advice on what to do and if there are any clues to what the program might be? I have AIDIA installed but I can't find an alarm. :confused

Thanks

My rig is as follows:
    CPU - Intel i7 2600
    GPU - Nvidia GTX 590
    MB - Asus P8P67
    OS - Win 7 64bit

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

81c is way to hot. You need to do something about those temps rather that stop the alarm.

Open up the case and clean out any dust from the inside. Clean all the fins on the heat sink on the CPU and give the GPU a good clean too. Check all your case fans and the PSU fan are functioning correctly. If there is still an issue remove the CPU heatsink, clean off the old thermal paste and reapply some new paste.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Did you build this rig? Are you overclocking the CPU? I could get my 2600K to 4.3 GHz just with Intel's cooler and it was at 70C at %100 load, which no game will duplicate that kind of stress. I can't believe that the machine is dirty already unless the OP has 20 dogs in his house! I wouldn't worry about the GPU as it's probably on auto fan.

The alarm could be coming from PC Probe II if it was loaded(I have the same motherboard). Make sure your CPU fan is running around 2000 RPM. I would agree with tueur, remove the heatsink, clean all the gunk off using %90 rubbing alcohol and replace it with just a small bead of thermal compound, about the size of a grain of rice. Unless it's under warranty then bring it back.

4. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

One thing that many people dont realise is that compressed air can damage you pc. an electric motor and an electric generator are the same thing. You apply electricity to a motor and it turns; you turn the motor and it generates electricity. Therefore if ever you are using compressed air make sure you hold any fans still otherwise you will get an inverted current generated which can damage components. Very low risk but can happen.

5. qldlifestyle

qldlifestyle Private E-2

Guys thanks very much for your help.

I have stripped it down and dusted it very gently. Not much there.
    I reapplied paste between the CPU and the cooler which is stock.
    Removed non-essentials and re routed some cables. No noticeable change.

I did build the rig myself and no I haven't been game to overclock, maybe that's just as well.

There are 5 case fans, 14cm and one 20cm.

Yes the GPU is gaining in temp as well.

I'm going to buy a water cooling kit.

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

You should be thankful for the alarm and it could be within the BIOS settings.....but you really want to leave it alone because it has alerted you to a "serious problem". Running the CPU at temps like 81C will lead to it becoming degraded until utter failure.

Here is the 2600 Specs:

http://ark.intel.com/products/52213?wapkw=I7 2600

From here is we scroll down we will find
    - TCASE 72.6°C

This is what Intel defines as the upper critical threshold for the Integrated Heat Sink (IHS) of the CPU (that is the metal cover on top). This is normally lower the the temp of individual cores, an example can be seen below with the CPUTIN being the TCase and then the individual cores.

I suggest that you run CPUID HWMonitor and get the Min and Max values after a 15-20min BF3 Session and post back so we can have a good look at all temps (GPU and CPU, etc) fans, voltages etc.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds