CPU peeks 100% when McAfee is running after update. Can't use internet.

Discussion in 'Software' started by SkyChimp, Jun 7, 2010.

1. SkyChimp

SkyChimp Private E-2

I need help!! I have Windows XP professional SP3 installed. This is my work computer and I'm self employed. I had to problems with McAfee until last month when it updated to a new looking Security Console. Now Virus scan starts and stops, starts and stops, and my CPU is peeked at 100%. I am hearing rumors about is attacking svchose.exe but I am not that savy to know if that is what's happening. I can't get IE to work but when I completely remove McAfee, the computer runs perfect!! I have done the malware removal steps and SUPERAntiVirus, Malware Bytes, and RootRepeal find nothing on my system. In fact IE runs great when McAfee isn't installed. I need to know what I should do. I have McAfee because it has a network ability so that my scanner, printers, and fax machine can find my PC thru my router switch. Please help!!!! I have uninstalled McAfee completely 3 times and reinstalled and it still does the same thing.

PS. Not sure if this makes a difference but my Windows Recovery Console is missing at start up.

2. oma

oma MajorGeek

Read about McAfee and it's April update when many corporate computers were affected: http://www.itworldcanada.com/news/m...iew-to-compensate-firms-for-bad-update/140552 I googled and many articles appear about it. The above link is only one of them.

If I were in your shoes I''d contact McAfee. Imho, as a small business you should also get compensated for McAfee's blunder and them taking the responsibility for the malfunction of your computer.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Please explain this. You do not need a security program to be able to use scanners, printers and perhaps, fax machines through a router. Unless, the McAfee program is something different than the av I used years ago.

Example: I have a linksys router with 8 computers in my home, some wired, some wireless and some I have cut off from the network completely for security reasons. My husband's computer, in the basement, is able to print wirelessly to my printer on the 1st floor or to his wired printer. None of the computers run any McAfee program. The majority of the computers run the free version of AntiVir. The firewalls are either an old version of Zone Alarm or the XP inbuilt one. Most computers run malwarebytes (two run the paid version, the others internet connected, the free version).
    I don't own a fax machine so perhaps I do not completely understand your networking problem. Also, the only scanner currently in use is wired to a standalone computer so it is not a network device either.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds