CPU/Proccess PIN/Wuauclt.exe/svchost.exe Issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by AlwaysInfected, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlwaysInfected

AlwaysInfected Private First Class

K Im on laptop alot so the CPU% bein relatively low is crucial, anyhow Iv'e had AVG8.0.1 for about a week or two n im not really feeling it's bulk, I reinstalled it without the windows feats email scanner etc n all that garbage n then i started having issues with updates. I couldnt get my update settings off of "Every 15 minutes" so when id'e restart my computer for example it was always in error state n needed to be updated... etc I reinstalled it with everything n im fine now...

Anyhow All day today i been having issues with what i believe is wuauclt.exe n the svchost that seems to be attatched to this where, when i have autoupdates activated that svchost stays running between 80 n 104% n keeps my cpu pinned @ 100% n makes my laptop slow n damn near boil. even when i have no programs running that particular svchost.exe stays super high n wont let up. When i turned auto updates off it took awhile to get low but it finally did.

Which reminds me iv'e been having strange windows update irregularities! for example the other day i had the yellow shield asking to do the update, I did it n completed it it said everything went fine except for the excel update or something. Anyhow every damn day now when i turn off my laptop the "Turn Off" Icon on shut down has a shield next to it saying click here if you want windows to update while/before shutting down. EVERYDAY!!!!
    So im guessing there is a link between my cpu/process svchost.exe wuauclt issues!
    I would like to keep my winupdates on but it tells me i need an update every damn day n it makes that svchost pin my cpu
    thanks

I wonder if this is malware related but i would doubt it...

2. Recycle Bin

Recycle Bin Private First Class

use a2 free and do a quick scan on the memory or try deleting the Certain svchost oh and another thing when your looking at the svchost does it says system or network? oh and if this problem started when you installed AVG then UN[install AVG

3. AlwaysInfected

Well if i delete avg what could i use as an effective, active, non bulky Anti-Virus proggy?

Also i had deleted that particular svchost but it made my windows task bar blink n turn beige :-D

I have my win updates turned off n now my cpu n system is running normal.

Ill try the a2 clean thing u said.

4. AlwaysInfected

Yea so uh. i need help asap. Its becoming a serious issue n now im convinced the wuauclt has nothing to do with it. Its this one service host that is working on my last nerve that process well over 100k, fluctuates n keeps my cpu pinned.

I have to keep watching it or my laptop will prematurely shutdown n overheat. :cry

What could this be? Its soooooo lame! F--k a svchost.exe oh n the svchost at hand is indeed system....
    now its fine again, back down to a stable 30k n change
    odd if u ask me....

5. Recycle Bin

Recycle Bin Private First Class

Instead of AVG try using Avast or Avira (Avast is better in my opinion)

and did you try deleting the svchost? if it happens again try deleting the svchost on taskmanager and if that fails try to delete it on Hijack This

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would NOT go blindly deleting svchost.exe files while it could be a disguised malware, in the majority of cases it is not, and deleting will if the legitimate file cause your windows to act stange or crash.

Need to find location of this svchost.exe and is its in C:\Windows\System32 and named svchost.exe ( ctrl-alt-del then right click the svchost thats causing the spike and its VERY normal for there to be multiple svchost files then choose open file location ) then its legit and something else you have installed is causing the spike in CPU, need to work out when this started to happen and what you have installed at that time.

Steps to find the culprit

1. Reboot in safe mode, does the CPU still spike?
    2. Use msconfig and ( start > run > type msconfig > startup tab and disable all > Apply > Ok > Reboot ) test by rebooting and enabling one startup at a time to find the application causing this.

7. AlwaysInfected

Thanks n check this out as you say when i get back to my moms this weekend. theres two people on the laptop n my mom sometimes is stubborn about not using firefox as she uses "what im used too" n ends up aquiring all kinds of active X spyware or adware, cookies etc...

anyhow ill check when im over there n bootup if it´s still actin up. I dont randomly DL programs, i have my basic programs that i use n have used for yours such as, AIM, LimeWire (which i rarely use but never have issues with becuase im aware of what i dling, filesize, extension, titles etc) n then firefox which i have the basic addblock on n my antimalware proggys.

Honestly nothing really happened till i messed around with the installation of that new AVG 8.0.1 i think... I unhappilly have my win updates turned off because winauclt.exe starts slowly climbing in kbs in the process window which causes that svchost to come forward n spike to 100k+ but fluctuate between low 80s aswell
    usually tho its on bootup but it lasts unusual long n i here my cpu fan wilin out....

Anyhow yea ill check out tomm hopefully thanks again!

8. DavidGP

Hi

If then only happened since the update to AVG8 then it is prime suspect, so uninstall AVG and do a cleanup for old left over files and registry entries ( CCleaner will do for this ) then see if PC still spikes, if so then follow my 1 & 2 steps, IF not then install the aforementioned Avast in lieu of AVG.

Its very possible AVG is conflicting with another application as AVG is reletively new some users are having problems, the majority not, but you maybe one of the unlucky ones.

9. AlwaysInfected

Yea i dont have any confliction progys with avg as its the only live proggy i have running n only main antivirus.

I uninstalled n cleaned with CCleaner, (I love this proggy, had it for a while now, good to clean out the computer in general n i do so every few weeks. :-D)
    BUt yea it seems to be ok now, thanks...:wave

10. AlwaysInfected

ah this damn svchost is driving crazy! Its seems to be on startup all the time!

for example i came home yest real quick, turned on the laptop and when i came back like 30 mins later it was turned off (it was the svchost spike that ran the cpu hot n shut it down)

Also another annoying issue is this damn new AVG! everytime i restart the systarm it opens up in error state n must be updated! every damn day! Anyone have the old 7.5 for DL?

Im not sure exactly how to locate an svchost with an issue there is more than one, if someone can elaborate a lil better it would be cool.
    sorry for all the confusion but thanks for all the help.

11. DavidGP

Hi

You may not actually find the error if in your case AVG8 and its initial buggyness is affecting you, so better option is to migrate to alternative AV.

Plus if using earlier advice to delete willy nilly svchost and other core system files then your system is unstable even more, even though core system files may recreate themselves they maybe older versions.

So uninstall AVG at try alternative AV and see if that stops the svchost errors?

12. AlwaysInfected

yea i definitely didnt go into my win32 folder n delete anything :-D that's just ridiculous...
    I removed AVG8 n then immediatley cleaned my comp n registry with CCleaner before a fresh restart, then proceeded to install Avast.

I still seem to have the svchost issue on startup I think it's related to the winauclt.exe but im not for sure. I might go over to Malware n do a full scan n then give them my logs, I don't wanna go poking around in any critical system files...

Thanks for all the help!

13. AlwaysInfected

K so i have some annoying issues.

I cant really scan my system properly because when i run SuperAntiSpyware or S&D During the scan the prog. process pins my cpu at 100% for most of the time. My laptop can't handle 100% for longer than 15 mins or it will shutdown due to overheating...

So i been trying to figure this svchost issue. Im not really sure what it's related too but it's so annoying. My winauclt.exe is part of it i think tho as iv'e said. When log onto windows i always open my task manager to see whats going on. I see winauclt gradually climb from 6k slowly upward n then u see that particular svchost climb with it slowly. I immediately end the winauclt.exe n it seems to stabalize the svchost.

Although i get more then 1 winauclt like when i opened firefox just now i had to shutdown like 3 winauclt.exe

Anyhow i dunno how to locate exactly which svchost is the culprit but basically its the what i suspect to be the main one. we all have atleast half a dozen svchost. it's the one that when u line up all ya processes in order of activity the one thats usually 20k or the highest one.

When this annoyance happens it will spike to as high as 124k n fluctuate between 80 n 104k n keeps my cpu pinned till either i shut it down or it boils my cpu n shuts down prematurely...

I dunno what to do now.... :cry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds