CPU running @ 100% constantly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by F#$*CoolWebSearch, Jan 21, 2008.

1. F#$*CoolWebSearch

F#$*CoolWebSearch Private E-2

Hello - I recently had the following post in the malware forum and they have advised me the logs reflect a hardware issue...is there anyone who can help me with some further diagnosis ? Thanks - J

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=148433

Hello - I recently removed a trojan from my PC with Norton, it did not specify which one, only setup.exe... My processor is still running at 100% with no programs running, I am wondering if the Trojan made a change to my Windows settings...

There doesn't seem to be any out of the ordinary processes running in the Task Manager or Administrative Tools Utilities... it seems explorer.exe is taking upwards of 35000 k which I found to be odd....

Could there still be programsrunning in the background that Task Manager is not showing ?

I am attaching a hijackthis log, as I do not know what information would be helpful....

Any input would be appreciated...

Kind Regards - J

2. Creativeballance

Creativeballance Private First Class

Maybe a root-kit....?
    I did run into a similar problem using Gigabyte's EZTune, which is a program that overclocks your computer from the OS, instead of the bios. Is the computer actually running slow, like it would if the processor was really maxed out, or is it just saying that it's maxed out?

3. F#$*CoolWebSearch

It says it is maxed with both task manager and process explorer... if i wait about 12 hours after booting it still shows 100% but I am able to run multiple programs...

4. candive

candive Corporal

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Have you tried shutting down Nortons as suggested in the malware thread?

E

6. candive

candive Corporal

If your Norton has a firewall, try turning windows firewall off in services.
    I had a similar problem with Zonealarm and windows firewalls a year or two ago.
    Turning off windows firewall solved it for me.

7. F#$*CoolWebSearch

I ran all the malware processes and was advised it was a hardware issure.....Windows firewall has always been turned off...

Additionally, the HD light that usually flashed when the processor is running doesn't light up when these delays happen...thought that was wierd....thx

8. Creativeballance

I'm telling you, try to uninstall that vista skin. I'm willing to bet that's what's causing it.

9. F#$*CoolWebSearch

Vista skin ? Tell me what it is and I'll give it a try....thx

10. Creativeballance

You know something? I got threads confused...I was helping someone /w a similar problem but they installed a program that made XP look like vista.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds