cpu running 50-60% all the time

Discussion in 'Software' started by fjdavid, May 22, 2013.

1. fjdavid

fjdavid Private E-2

I post this thread in Malware forum last week but I was directed to put it here after they found no virus or malware on my computer.

This past week my computer seemed slow. The image name is "services.exe" that is using up the majority of the CPU time. When running in safe mode it doesn't happen. I turned off all start up programs using the system configuration utility and it only goes away when I turn off all of the Microsoft services. I'm not sure what my next step would be

Frank

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Next step and it will take time is to enable two MS services. Run the computer for 1 or 2 days as you do normally. If all is okay, enable the next two services and repeat.

When you find high CPU usage on two windows services, go in and unselect one of the last two you've enabled. If the computer works normally, you've found the problem service. If it doesn't, unselect the one you kept and select the one you have unselected.

3. fjdavid

fjdavid Private E-2

I found that the service that was causing the CPU running all the time to be "plug and play" Microsoft service. How do I correct that?

Frank

4. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Are you using any kinda Flash drive sticks or any thing that is pluged in to the USB ports.

5. fjdavid

fjdavid Private E-2

These are the things that I have in USB ports. All of which have been installed and working long before I had this CPU issue.

Dell keyboard
    Dell mouse
    Dell speakers
    Netgear wireless USB adaptor WNA3100

Frank

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds