cpu runs high temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shadetree, Feb 14, 2014.

1. shadetree

shadetree Private E-2

Looking into bios for cpu settings and I really dont know what I am looking at. i see there is an option to adjust clock rate. I know the majority of super users would be annoyed at my speeed, but can I change this from 133 to say111 or something. Seems like sometimes I hear a fan kick into like high gear. Today was 72C at one point, and i was thinking it should boost fan speed, but it was not. Like to find a manual (it is old-Phoenix Tech. 6.00 PG)
    Any thoughts ???
    Have heard of speed fan. Dont know if it is any good. I will undoubtedly have someone thinking, well, just get a better computer and problem solved.
    Not that simple for some folks!

2. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I think I read that Speedfan is mainly for the purpose of lowering unnecessarily high fan speeds.

If you install it, you can choose to run it or not.

I use it to raise my fan speeds though. it seems to be do this on my system. My CPU does not have the ability to measure its core temperature, being a P4 generation. Neither do any temperatures show up in the BIOS.

I don't really know it works (Am looking for a good description....live in hope....

Dumb_Question
    15.February.2014

3. shadetree

shadetree Private E-2

Speed fan reports lower temp than what shows on my system monitor. I dont know what to call it (the screen that comes up on restart). That one will show between 59C- 71C. Temp 3 on speed fan says 52C. I am assuming thats correlated.
    My system only shows speed of one fan (around 2500 rpm). That must be cpu. The only other it has is the one in psu. I dont get any reading for that.
    So maybe nothing to worry about. ??
    Again I am not sure how to decipher bios options , if there are any. Does not have S.M.A.R.T.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Is the screen you are mentioning at boot the BIOS settings and temp monitor? very likely it is and they can at times not be very accurate and are just a guide as are all other temp monitors.

What type of computer do you have is it a desktop or laptop? and please tell us the make and model as we may have some ideas for you on cooling, as you can possibly add more and better/quieter fans to a desktop PC case, or add a new more efficient CPU cooler (but this is more an advanced job in some respects, dependent on tech level), can just be that your PC needs a clean out and removal of dust and fluff from CPU cooler and motherboard and case fans, you'd be surprised at how a good clean will make a PC run cooler and quieter.

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

No, SF is mainly for "monitoring" temps and fan speeds. Controlling fan speeds is extra and is only possible if the motherboard fan header via the chipset provide fan speed control through the header. Some don't even provide speed monitoring.

Not that simple, and not the right solution either (unless still running XP - then you need to upgrade before April.).

Where did you get the 72°C reading? If in the BIOS, then that is concerning because running the BIOS Setup Menu is one of the LEAST demanding tasks we can ask of our computers.

It is important to note and understand it is the case's responsibility to provide an adequate front-to-back "flow" of cool air through, and out the rear of the case. It is the CPU HSF assembly's responsibility to simply toss the CPU's heat into that flow.

The FIRST thing I recommend you do is ensure the case interior is free of heat trapping dust and dirt. Unplug the computer from the wall, remove the case side panel, touch (and touch again frequently) bare metal of the case interior to discharge the static build-up in your body.

Then carefully clean out all the dust buildup on the boards, fans, vents etc. I take my systems outside and blast with an air compressor fitted with a suitable moisture and particulate filter. If using compressed air or cans of compressed dusting "gas" (it is NOT air so use in well-ventilated areas), use a wooden glue or Popsicle stick to hold fans stationary while blasting. Do not see how fast they can spin as it can damage the bearings. Verify all cables are still securely fastened, then connect power and fire up. Inspect to ensure all fans are spinning.

Also, while inside the case, inspect for more or larger case fan support. If you replace current case fans with larger fans, or add another fan, it will help.

Note you can use a vacuum cleaner - but critical ESD (electro-static discharge) precautions is necessary - especially if the vacuum nozzle is plastic. Dust and air particles zipping past and banging into the nozzle as they are sucked by can rapidly build-up an excessive static charge in the nozzle. Bringing a charged nozzle (or fingertip) in close to the CPU, RAM or other ESD sensitive devices can easily result in a destructive discharge. So, if raining and I need to use a vacuum indoors instead of the blaster outdoors, I wrap my hand around the nozzle end, extent a pointed finger out that I quickly plant onto bare metal near where I am cleaning, then I use a soft "natural" (not static generating synthetics) brush to stir up the dust so it can be drawn into the vacuum.

6. Dumb_Question

I have seen it advised not to use vacuum cleaner, for the reason that Digerati mentions - danger of ESD damage - but with additional explanation (reasonable or not) the vacuum cleaners actually generate lots of static electricity because of the way (most) work.

Are you confident that you are looking at correct temperature on Speedfan ? It's not always obvious which is which. The temperatures also may not correlate precisely between different programs. As David GP says, detailed information on your system would be useful, especially what processor it has (processor details). I found out only recently that that the P4 family do not have thermal sensors integrated with the processor core; I don't know exactly where the thermal sensor that Speedfan uses for this is on my PC. There is one temperature reading Speedfan has access to, however, which correlates very strongly with CPU usage. Another, the 'system temperature' in Speccy correlates with Temperature 1 in speedfan (actually it doesn't correlate, but it agrees with it very closely: this temperature is almost constant in my PC). This, Digerati has kindly informed me, is often located in the Northbridge chip package. So some care is needed when interpreting reading readings from Speedfan and other temperature monitoring programs.

You should bear in mind that your CPU is rarely under load when you are in the BIOS and it would be cooler in that state, unless it has been working, and is also well-insulated (poorly cooled). 72C is hot for this state.

72C is pretty hot, but Tjmax's for some processors go to over 100C; for my Celeron it is 65C.

Dumb_Question
    15.February.2014

7. Digerati

Which is what I said but I don't know what you mean by "reasonable or not" explanation. :confused

The reason for the static build-up is exactly as I explained - dust and air particles banging into the molecules in the nozzle. This knocks loose "free electrons" in the outer shells of the molecules resulting in a "more positive" charge. That's static. And an ESD occurs when that positive "node" (fingertip, vacuum nozzle) "arcs" to a less positive (more negative) node - hopefully directly to the computer case and not though the CPU or memory.

I noted the vacuum is used if outdoor blasting is not practical. And I also IMMEDIATELY noted that "critical" ESD precautions required.

So I am not sure the point of your comments about vacuum cleaners. They can be used, as long as the "critical ESD precautions" noted are observed.

:confused Please note, as I noted above, running the BIOS Setup Menu "is one of the LEAST demanding tasks we can ask of our computers.". The CPU is NEVER under load when in the BIOS. No OS is loaded, it is running the most basic I/O drivers and VGA graphics, and no sounds (other than beeps through the system speaker), not networking.

8. Dumb_Question

I apologise for not remembering the content of your pot while I wrote mine Digerati, and I bow to you immensely superior knowledge and experience. I should give up trying to help people, leaving that to the true experts, and stick to asking dumb questions.

I was not doubting your explanation, but could only remember another half remembered one which talked of all the friction between surfaces in the electric motor generating static (this is only half remembered).

I also take note of your definitive statement re the BIOS set up menu.

Apologies

Dumb_Question
    15.February.2014

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Both of you stop the fighting. Believe it or not, we can all work together to help people here, and there need not be any dominance by anyone. More than one suggestion and viewpoint is helpful.

Dumb_Question, I thank you for your input. Digerati, I thank you for yours as well. Lets spend more time assisting people asking for help and less time with a measuring stick at our waist.

10. Digerati

There is no fighting going on here. Just trying to determine if we are on the same page or not. And we are.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds