CPU Stress test...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swalsh19, Apr 24, 2008.

1. swalsh19

swalsh19 Private First Class

I have a weird one here. My PC runs for 30mins to a few hours and then all of a sudden just shuts down. Power light is still ON. I have installed Coretemp to monitor temperatures and the last time just before it shutdown the temperature was at 44degrees, so its not a termperature related issue in my opinion...

Now I have tried a CPU burn in app and when it reaches a certain itteration the computer does the very same thing by this I mean shuts off with Power LED still ON...

Would I have a CPU issue or a motherboard issue or both?

I'm going to acquire another CPU to hopefully narrow the problem down.

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I would run Memtest to rule out the memory first. http://majorgeeks.com/MemTest_d350.html

Could be the CPU, but I would suspect the RAM or the PSU. Do you have a spare PSU you can try out?

E

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yup. My first thought upon reading the OPs post was "bad power supply" but then I read Fred's post, and thought "yeah, I guess bad RAM could do it too, but it would probably be a BSOD but a shut down is totally possible too". So, for best results when testing RAM, I suggest using a bootable test so it can have exclusive access to all the memory without Windows getting in the way. I like this one:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Windows_Memory_Diagnostic_d3955.html
    You can choose to create a bootable floppy disk, or an .ISO image that you'd burn to a CD to boot to. The ISO file will be called windiag.iso and will be in My Documents. Use your favorite burning tool to burn an image from the ISO. Boot to the CD or floppy and select T for the extended tests and run at least 3-4 passes. It will take some time so be patient. Some of tests may appear to lock up (test 7 and 9 for example) but they haven't. Just be patient and let it run for a while. If there's memory errors it will let you know.
    Excellent idea. Maybe you have a friend who has extra PC parts laying around, or you could get a basic used PSU for diagnostic purposes at a used PC store for $10 or $15 that will allow you to at least test the system. Unless you have a fairly high end system, a used 300w or 350w ATX power supply should be OK for a few hours....

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Off Topic. Downloaded that program you linked to dlb, will play with it this weekend. I thought the Memtest ran from a CD, it does not.

swalsh19 try the program dlb linked to. A non Windows environment is the best way to test or eliminate the RAM as a problem.

E

5. hopter_copter

hopter_copter Private E-2

swalsh19,
    I am having the same problem on a newly built computer. Does your computer give you a BSOD just before it reboots?
    Mine flashes the blue screen literally for about 1/2 second before reboot. (much too fast to get any information from it) I am pretty sure that it is a ram problem because when I stress test just the cpu, it tests fine. But when I do a combo stress test (cpu and ram) the test fails almost immediately. Using Orthos for the test. BTW I am using a 700w PSU.

6. swalsh19

swalsh19 Private First Class

I used the Memtest in Ultimate Boot CD and my RAM was fine. My CPU when stressed did overheat. I did some research and found out that my cooler was completely garbage. I was shocked at how poor it performed. I have switched to a Zalman 8700XT cooler. System now is running about 30degrees on idel and when I ran orthos it hit 75degrees after about 10mins... Before I was surpassing 100degrees within minutes.

I don't think the 75 is all that well eiter but I'm looking for some info on whether I should be running the CPU Fan using the Smart mode using PMW or just disabling this feature.

BTW: I never got a bluescreen of death, the bios would start to beep due to CPU Thermal Protection, and then unit would power off about 10-15secs later.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds