CPU Temp, Videocard Temp. Cooking?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EXOX3, Aug 27, 2006.

1. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

Hi Guys,

Well I got a few questions that I need to get answers too, becuase a friend came over tonight and after talking about his PC woes, I got a bit worried myself, becuase of tempatures that cooked his PC, is what my PC runs at as standard. Plus it made me think about other weird issues, and maybe they are heat related.

First off, my processor! (P4 3.06Ghz - C1R, EM64T, HTT, 1MB L2, 533FSB)
    Currently my computer is in the loungeroom in the corner, but it's having a issue every now and then, I could be playing a game, any for that matter, or just surfing on the internet, going along nice and smooth, then all of a sudden my screen freezes, including the mouse cursor, it's like a 'Print Screen' version of my desktop, it will stay in this state for around 3 seconds and upwards, but the average is about 5 seconds when it does happen, I start closing browser window, and any other application just to see what happens, but it doesn't appear to have any affect, It happened a few hours ago, I left my PC running after closing everything to see if it would fix itself, but it doesn't, to stop this problem, I have to physically hard restart my computer, then my PC is fine again. The only thing left I could think it could be, would be my CPU, becuase it runs at 51c on average.

Secondly, my mouse!
    I have a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse (USB) and sometimes when I turn my computer on, or do a hard restart, my mouse is not on, no power, no nothing, I have to pull the USB plug out, then re-insert it. I thought maybe it was a fault with the USB connector I was using, so I tryed another spot, waited till it happend again, and I had to remove, then re-insert the USB plug, I have tryed it on all 7 USB plugs on my PC, and it still happens. I have troubled shooted everything I could find on similiar topics, but the problem is still un-resolved, it's always happened, not everyday, but roughly 2 or 3 times a week, any idea's?

Thirdly, my Videocard (GeForce 6600GT AGP)
    At the beginning of the year I upgraded my stupid Geforce FX5200 becuase it was basically a non gaming videocard for the performance I requiire, but I have noticed ever since I purchased it that its average running temp is between 67c and 75c.. Is this alright, when I first saw it in my nview control panel, I freaked, but it wasn't in the red section, however when I have played a graphic hungry game, the highest I`ve seen it get to is 77c, after I quit the game and quickly gone into the nvidia control applet. The videocard has an onboard HSF, I`m just worried that I am not getting the proper performance out of it becuase its running hot.....

Another question is, my BIOS, soime of the settings I have a few questions for are this, I have 512MB PC-3200 memory, but benchmarking my memory I get a P4 2GHz Performance, using SPD settings for memory timings/settings via bios, should I change this and manually set it, would this increase performance, without overclocking.

In my BIOS I have an option under spread spectrum, enabled/disabled, currently it's enabled, is this wise? I remember a couple years ago when I was really into PC hardware, spread spectrum was disabled by default, I am unsure of its workings, but its enabled and does NOT bring up any options when its enabled.

Last but not least, a triple bios question, I have set my AGP apeture to 128MB, this alright for my 8xAGP GF6600GT 128MB? Also their is some shadow options for system bios, video bios or cache, or something.. all are disabled. Enabling specific ones a wise choice, will I get a performance boost, even a little?

Any other suggestions you may have for doing something with settings would be greatly appreciated, I have a SIS Chipset Micro ATX mainboard, 661G from memory. I installed windows SP2, DX9c (August edition), nVidia 81.98 drivers, Reaktek AC97 3.91, SIS 900 Ethernet Driver Package (Latest one).

System is an Acer Aspire SA80 MMX2, with BIOS Rev R01.B4, Cannot find a newer bios than this, all that I have changed in the system hardware is added a GF6600GT.

Thanks in advance guys,

Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  2. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

Bump

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds