CPU Usage 100%

Discussion in 'Software' started by gofergal, Oct 30, 2007.

1. gofergal

gofergal Private First Class

Hi
    I have been having trouble with my computer at work lately. My CPU usage is maxing out and I cannot seem to find out what is doing it.
    I ran Adaware and only had minor items.
    I ran CCleaner and it didnt make a difference. I read on here where someone said to run Process explorer and when i do that... if i am reading it correctly.... i show something called spoolsv.exe that is bouncing around 90 under CPU column. Not sure what this means but I wonder if that is what is causing my problems. the Description says: "Spooler SubSystem App"
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Gosh I forgot you need my specs.. lol
    Win XP Pro SP2
    Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz 1 GB RAM

2. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude Private E-2

spoolsv.exe is a Microsoft Windows system executable which handles the printing process. If it is consuming that much CPU and you're not printing anything, and no documents stuck in the queue, then something else is using it. Do you have any Adobe software installed, such as the full version of Acrobat for example?

Other known offenders:
    Lotus Notes
    Trend Micro products
    Corporate "We're watching you" software, on Corp. networks

What printer drivers are installed, and is this machine networked and connected to any network printers?

When all else fails, start shutting down unnecessary processes one at a time until the CPU usage goes back down.

3. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude Private E-2

Should not have posted so quickly, as I thought of a couple other things...

This article will show you how to check your event viewer...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

There, you can see when certain things happen, which *may* shed some light on the issue.

Also, there are applications that show you exactly what runs at start-up, and maybe that could be helpful as well...
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    http://www.silentrunners.org/

Lastly, if this machine is at "work", is it company property?, and of so, is there an IT department? Because they should have tools to help resolve the issue for you.
    Good luck with it.

4. gofergal

I keep my startups cleaned out so that isnt it.

Yes I have adobe full version. Do you think after I close it that something remains open that drains my memory?

I figured after I closed it it was gone but maybe not. Any suggestions how to check that?

I am networked to 3 printers but not currently printing anything. Again.... is there a way to check and see if it is using my resources even if i am not in a print job?

I have a work order in for IT but it may take them a few days to get around to me LOL...

Thanks

wow... I just stopped and restarted my print spooler and that dropped it to hardly anything. Hmm... I guess that was it. Any ideas why it is holding the memory hostage?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Sometimes spoolsv.exe "sticks on" for me. I don't know why. :confused :eek:

I simply delete it through the Processes tab in Windows Task Manager.
    But then I immediately reload it through Start-->Run
    Enter spoolsv.exe in the "Open" box and press <enter> and spoolsv.exe goes back to normal.

Works for me in XP Pro with SP2, and updates. Bazza

===

6. gofergal

Thanks that works.... It happened again today and I have not used PDF... only my desktop printer. Hmm.. someone out there should have a solution for this.
    Thanks

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Glad it works for you,:major also.
    Not a solution as to why, :confused but it solves the problem, eh. :D Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds